gus arnheim video 1929

  • pgronemeier
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 2, 2008
      http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1u2m8_gus-arnheim-and-his-
      ambassadors1929_music
      maybe this is old news but just came upon it
    • uli
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 2, 2008
        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "pgronemeier" <pgronemeier@...> wrote:

        > http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1u2m8_gus-arnheim-and-his-
        > ambassadors1929_music
        > maybe this is old news but just came upon it

        Hello,

        and we have also the chance to listen and watch Ray Lopez playing. In
        the last part of Tiger Rag he plays with the plunger. One more of the
        New Orleans cornet/trumpet players!
        Uli
      • paul gronemeier
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 2, 2008
          http://www.dailymotion.com/redhotjazz/Vitaphone/video/xmeqi_ingenuesthe-beautiful-band1928_music%c2%a0%c2%a0%c2%a0
          I wrote patrice, but I didnt realize theres a whole 'plethora' of websites with vintage recordings...was hoping to combine all here.

          > maybe this is old news but just came upon it

          Hello,

          and we have also the chance to listen and watch Ray Lopez playing. In
          the last part of Tiger Rag he plays with the plunger. One more of the
          New Orleans cornet/trumpet players!
          Uli

        • Wouter Maréchal
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 3, 2008
            http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1u2m8_gus-arnheim-and-his-ambassadors1929_music

            In the 3th part there is a tenor guitar solo play-backed on banjo, hilarius.
            A nice piece it is any how.

            Wouter M
          • Gilber M. Erskine
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 5, 2008
              Yeah, Ray Lopez doing the brief trumpet work on Tiger Rag. Now I know where Sharkey Bonano got his derby hat idea. In fact for a moment I thought I was seeing Banano.
              The whole band was pretty good. I especially like good arrangements of the old warhorse tunes. My favorites on these are Adrian Rollini's Riverboat Shuffle and Ray Miller's That's A Plenty.
              -----------GILBERT M. ERSKINE
              > maybe this is old news but just came upon it

              Hello,

              and we have also the chance to listen and watch Ray Lopez playing. In
              the last part of Tiger Rag he plays with the plunger. One more of the
              New Orleans cornet/trumpet players!
              Uli

            • Fredrik Tersmeden
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 5, 2008
                Note that the singing violinist who also tosses of a brief hot solo is no other than crooner-
                to-be Russ Columbo.

                Fredrik
              • uli
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 5, 2008
                  You can hear and see Ray Lopez (born 1889) three times muting his
                  trumpet. First in the beginning of the Video in a closeup with the
                  trombone, working with a metal hat.
                  Second after the vocal trio and the saxophonetrio about 1.56 he picks
                  up a mute. Is he using a plunger over the mute?
                  Last in "Tiger Rag" after the Violinsolo with a Plunger (over a mute?
                  Can´t see it right).

                  This Vitaphoneclip is special to me, because on the records made by
                  Arnheim isn´t much to nothing solowork of Lopez.
                  These solos on the clip must be the last in Lopez recordingcareer.

                  He also is on of the earliest I knew working with mutes on records.
                  I listen to his work with Abe Lyman. Right on the first record (of
                  Lopez and Lyman) "Those Longing for you Blues" he opens the first 12
                  bars with something sound to me like a derby hat as a mute, after the
                  clarinet he takes another muted solo.
                  The record dates c.mid 1922 for Nordskog in Los Angeles.
                  Louis Pancino also recorded this tune with Isham Jones in March 1922
                  with mutes, but the Lyman/Lopez Version is an out and out Jazz tune.
                  Pancino has some muted work with Isham Jones from mid 1921, there is
                  Johnny Dunns work prior to mid 1922. Paul Mares muted work with the
                  NORK dates from August 1922 on.
                  (Pancino in his book "The Novelty Cornetist" copyright 1923 writes:
                  "The hat over the bell of the cornet has been in use for not less than
                  thirty years as a means producing orchestral effects, and particulary
                  in imitation of the French Horn")

                  Almost every record by Lopez with Lyman has muted solos. The most of
                  them are good jazzrecords.
                  Of course on some previous records like the ODJB sides some muted
                  work, but most of them as special effects like on the "Livery Stable
                  Blues" (Is LaRoccas Solo on "I´ve lost my heart in Dixieland"
                  London/1920 muted?)

                  From 1922 to 1926 Lopez recorded with Lyman, little open horn, the
                  most muted and some with fine Wa-wa like "Sally´s got the Blues-
                  1924", "Everybody Stomp-1925", "Shake that thing-1926" with different
                  mutes, chosen by Lopez as his best record. On one of his last
                  recordings with Lyman "New St. Louis Blues-1926" he really is
                  preaching with his wa-wa solo.

                  Nothing of that till the 1929 Vitaphone clip with Arnheim. It´s a pity
                  that Lopez did so little on record.

                  In the Storyville (No. 64) article "Mr. Jazz Himself" about the life
                  of Ray Lopez, on page 147 is an nice photo from Lopez with a Band in
                  Chicago 1916. And that is he doing? He mutes his horn with a hat! I
                  know only one earlier example of a photo with muted horns in an
                  Danceband/Ragtime context: Happy Schilling´s Orchestra - 1915 - Two
                  trumpets, in front of the Band are 3 mutes (New Orleans Jazz - A
                  family album - third edition page 135) Trumpets in this photo:
                  Johnny Lala (b.1893) and Henry Knecht (b.1898).

                  Uli

                  Sorry with my english :)
                • Gilber M. Erskine
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 5, 2008
                    <<Sorry with my english---Uli>>
                    Your English is fine. I haven't heard those Lyman sides and will be looking for them. Incidentally, Richard M. Sudhalter's LOST CHORDS has a picture of Tom Brown's band in New York 1915 after they left Chicago. Bill Lambert, Tom Brown, Larry Shields, Ray Lopez, and Deacon Loyocano. Ray has a mute in his cornet.
                    According to Sudhalter, Johnny Stein's band in Chicago in 1916 needed a cornet player, so Stein asked Eddie Edwards to find one back home in New Orleans. All of Edwards' first choices declined, so he finaly asked Nick LaRocca to come. Ray Lopez later asked Edwards why he had picked LaRocca when there were so many better cornet players in New Orleans, like Frank Christian or Joe Lala, and Edwards said it was because Nick had the money to pay for the musician's trip to Chicago...
                    Crazy!

                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 6, 2008
                      Dear Gilbert,

                      for these records you may look at the Chris barber collection
                      No.CBC1059 - Abe Lyman & his California Orchestra TIMELESS HISTORICAL
                      » CBC1059

                      "Shake that thing" you may find also at Youtube, search Abe Lyman.

                      I also read the story why LaRocca had become the cornet-player with
                      the ODJB. :)
                      But Ray Lopez is in many ways not better than LaRocca as a
                      "Story-teller".
                      Bouth claimed to involved jazz, or better took it to a broader
                      audience of dancing people, bouth claimed to changed the New Orleans
                      way of playing for the dancing folk outside of NO. Lopez in Chicago
                      and LaRocca in New York. LaRocca sayed he involved (the music) Jazz,
                      Lopez sayed he involved the word jazz (for the music - with the help
                      from other resources.)

                      LaRocca didn´t getting mad of telling that he and the ODJB devised
                      Jazz (with the help from others, for example Horst H. Lange), and
                      Lopez didn´t say "NO" then he was called and billed as "Mr. Jazz himself".
                      Both are from the same generation, born 1889. Very proud of that they
                      are doing.

                      LaRocca recorded from 1917 till (privat) near the end of his life, but
                      definitively to the 30´s, more than over a 100´s of sides.
                      Lopez only 1922 to c.1929. Sadly only with (society) Dance Bands.
                      (But with Lyman some really hot sides!!)

                      Both knew each other, but didn´t like each other very much, - LaRocca
                      had an much more better sense for business.He "Did it", but
                      Lopez missed the opportunity. And yes, only to myself, I think that
                      Lopez is the better and "hotter" cornetist of both.
                      And one of the earliest to record hot solos with a mute and wa-wa effects.
                      Uli

                      > <<Sorry with my english---Uli>>
                      > Your English is fine. I haven't heard those Lyman sides and will be
                      looking for them. Incidentally, Richard M. Sudhalter's LOST CHORDS has
                      a picture of Tom Brown's band in New York 1915 after they left
                      Chicago. Bill Lambert, Tom Brown, Larry Shields, Ray Lopez, and Deacon
                      Loyocano. Ray has a mute in his cornet.
                      > According to Sudhalter, Johnny Stein's band in Chicago in 1916
                      needed a cornet player, so Stein asked Eddie Edwards to find one back
                      home in New Orleans. All of Edwards' first choices declined, so he
                      finaly asked Nick LaRocca to come. Ray Lopez later asked Edwards why
                      he had picked LaRocca when there were so many better cornet players in
                      New Orleans, like Frank Christian or Joe Lala, and Edwards said it was
                      because Nick had the money to pay for the musician's trip to Chicago...
                      > Crazy!
                      > ---GILBERT M. ERSKINE----- Original Message -----

                      8/5/2008 6:03 AM