Re: [RedHotJazz] Smithsonian Global Sound - Folkways, Fremeaux, and lots of data

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 30, 2008
      Yves and everyone else with an interest,

      I will re-reread "Jazz on the Barbary Coast" and maybe also dip into the Phil Pastras book on Jelly Roll Morton on the West Coast to see if Slocum gets a mention. There might be something in the Bill Russell JRM book, which I believe has things from Jelly's scrapbook. Maybe someone who has this can check. Incidentally, for those who might not now, Stoddard's "Jazz from the Barbary Coast" was originally published by Storyville, but is now available from the San Francisco Traditional Jazz Foundation (http://www.sftradjazz.org) The early history of jazz in that area is also a fascinating topic and rather under-researched despite Stoddard. Until a couple of years ago, it seems that very little was known about NO clarinetist Clem Raymond: even the liner notes of his CD with Dick Oxtot (was it?) has very little information, but there are snippets here and there in books and GHB has since issued a CD of him subbing for George Lewis. And there are others, like Ernest Coycault, who recorded, but about whom very little is around in print.

      The Caribbean-Jazz connection would be well worth some serious research, in particular because of the language divide (BTW I meant I *can't* read French fast - I left school over forty years ago and haven't seriously used French since except to order meals): there is a site on the French Antilles music and musicians by the author of most of the Frémeaux liners (J.P. Meunier) which quotes an encyclopedia by one Aude Bagoé, apparently the son of one of the musicians. It seems to have been around at €20 (easily affordable), but also seems to be out of print - I sometimes find a web site where it is available at €36, which I would hesitate to spend without having had a look inside or having read samples of M. Bagoé's work. While I live only about 20 kilometers from France, the nearest big city is Strasbourg which I would hardly think was a stronghold of Caribbean music in the 1920s/30s.

      I revisited the Arhoolie site and discovered that there are now samples of all the tracks on the Danzon CD - a great advantage. While I didn't hear the second strain of the first track (too short), the second track reminded me of "Doodle-do-do" or something like it, which was recorded quite frequently by 20s dance bands.

      Best

      Michael Rader
      Karlsruhe, Germany

      Ihre Messenger, Communities und E-Mails jetzt in einem Programm!
      WEB.DE MultiMessenger http://www.produkte.web.de/messenger/?did=3071