Re: [RedHotJazz] Bernie Schultz (was Evertt Hoagland?)

  • Dan Van Landingham
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 26, 2008
      I knew of Everett Hoagland by way of George T. Simon's 1967 book "The Big Bands".He
      played clarinet and had a jazz oriented band but switched a more commercial band.He
      recorded for Decca in the mid to late '30s.I had a record of his band at one time.
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 29, 2008
        Thanks to everyone tha answered.

        Seems no actual recording can be foun in the net.

        By the way, he played in a Mexico City night club in the early 50's
        and was listened in a radio broadast from there.

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Snogpitch <snogpitch@...> wrote:

        > Here is what Lord's Jazz Discography indicates:

      • Jorge Fernandez
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 16, 2008
          This message is possibly off topic Red hot jazz.

          When I first came to the forum asking about Everett Hoagland
          recordings was because I had vivid memories of my childhood listening
          my parents and family about this band and his characteristic stile.
          I thought my father had an LP of such band, but when I recently
          browsed his collection couldn't find any. That's why I asked.

          Now I now that Mr. Hoagland start playing in new England and then
          went to Hollywood to be a Musical manager or something like that. SO
          if such records exited they should be older.

          Wrong, last week end I was browsing the 78 rpm part of the collection
          and came across one record.

          It is a Mexican recoding made in the late 1940's or early 50's, it
          seems that Mr. Hoagland retired form movies, he came to Mexico and
          played in a fancy ballroom (Ciros's) in one of the most luxurious
          hotels of that time in Mexico City (Hotel Reforma).

          The band should be a mix of American and Mexican musicians and had a
          very "personal sound" with a walking bass, that resembles a fox
          trotting.

          That is why for myself the term "Fox Trot" means a fox trotting and
          not a rhythm invented by Mr. Fox in Broadway an early 20th century.
          (I am not arguing this).

          The point is, if anyone wants the images of the labels or the sounds,
          just ask.
          (It seems I cannot post them here)

          The melodies were for dancing, not really Hot Jazz:
          • Little White Lies
          • Softly Lights and Sweet music (sic)
          Regards
          re_p_g_c@...