Evertt Hoagland?

  • Jorge Fernandez
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 25, 2008
      Are there any recordings of his band?
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 25, 2008
        Er, sorry Jorge, but who is he?

        What era are we in? Are there posts I¹ve missed?

        on 25/07/2008 18:53, Jorge Fernandez at jorgefedez@... wrote:

        > Are there any recordings of his band?

      • Mordechai Litzman
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 25, 2008
          A quick Google search for Everett Hoagland yielded this - maybe it is helpful.

          Everett
          had two orchs. His first band, in the '20s, a west coast outfit was a
          swinging style of band with great arrangements by its' pianist - Stan
          Kenton. It was disbanded when he took a job as chief musical arranger
          for the RKO Studios. With backing from MCA, he formed the 2nd Orch. in
          the '30s with George Mayes from the defunct Orville Knapp Orch.

          In 1933, Stan (Kenton) was offered the piano chair in
          the band of Everett Hoagland, the popular band leader in LA. After
          accepting the job, he was introduced to two colleagues Vido Musso and
          Bob Gioga. The rendezvous Ballroom, in the Balboa Beach was the home
          base where the Everett Hoagland band would play.

        • Snogpitch
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 25, 2008
            Here is what Lord's Jazz Discography indicates:

            Leader: Everett Hoagland
            [H6296-3]
            No details
            c. 1932
            So different [HWD Special] Harrison LP-P

            [H6297-3]
            Everett Hoagland and his Orchestra : : no details
            New York, August 3, 1939
            The song of the metronome Sunbeam HB319
            Drifting down the river of dreams -
            This heart of mine -
            Little old band of gold -

            [H6298-3]
            New York, September 8, 1939
            Bless you Sunbeam HB319
            Each time you say goodbye -
            Stop kicking my heart around -
            It's all over town -

            [H6299-3]
            New York, January 19, 1940
            The moon and the willow tree Sunbeam HB319
            I'm too romantic -
            My son. my son -
            Apple blossoms and chapel bells -

            Since 3 sessions indicates the same Sunbeam HB319, one could assume it is
            part of a collection.

            on 7/25/08 1:53 PM, Jorge Fernandez at jorgefedez@... wrote:

            > Are there any recordings of his band?

            Snogpitch

            snogpitch@...
            ICQ: 4989342
            Webpage: http://pages.prodigy.net/snogpitch/
          • Tommer
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 26, 2008
              --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Jorge Fernandez" <jorgefedez@...>
              wrote:

              > Are there any recordings of his band?

              I don't know whether Omar and Everett (including the e' between the r'
              and the t')Hoagland were relatives, but I couldn't resist to wonder
              about the interesting image painted on the drum in this photo of Bernie
              Schultz and his Crescent orch.

              http://www.redhotjazz.com/schultzinfo.html

              Tommer
            • Robert Smith
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 26, 2008
                Dear Tommer,

                Re: big drum image.

                I don't know the answer to your question, but if you asked me to guess, I would say it's symbolic of stars playing in the crescent moon.

                Regards

                Bob Smith

                --
                Jeg bruker gratisversjonen av SPAMfighter for privatbrukere.
                Den har fjernet 5533 søppelpostmeldinger til nå.

              • Gilber M. Erskine
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 26, 2008
                  <<<I would say it's symbolic of stars playing in the crescent moon.---Bob Smith>>>

                  And I would say it was painted by a Muslim sympathizer.
                  ---------GILBERT M. ERSKINE
                  I don't know the answer to your question, but if you asked me to guess, I would say it's symbolic of stars playing in the crescent moon.

                  Regards

                  Bob Smith

                  --
                  Jeg bruker gratisversjonen av SPAMfighter for privatbrukere.
                  Den har fjernet 5533 søppelpostmeldinger til nå.
                  Betalende brukere har ikke denne meldingen i e-postene sine.
                  Få tak i SPAMfighter gratis her: http://www.spamfighter.com/lno

                • Dan Van Landingham
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 26, 2008
                    I knew of Everett Hoagland by way of George T. Simon's 1967 book "The Big Bands".He
                    played clarinet and had a jazz oriented band but switched a more commercial band.He
                    recorded for Decca in the mid to late '30s.I had a record of his band at one time.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 29, 2008
                      Thanks to everyone tha answered.

                      Seems no actual recording can be foun in the net.

                      By the way, he played in a Mexico City night club in the early 50's
                      and was listened in a radio broadast from there.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 16, 2008
                        This message is possibly off topic Red hot jazz.

                        When I first came to the forum asking about Everett Hoagland
                        recordings was because I had vivid memories of my childhood listening
                        my parents and family about this band and his characteristic stile.
                        I thought my father had an LP of such band, but when I recently
                        browsed his collection couldn't find any. That's why I asked.

                        Now I now that Mr. Hoagland start playing in new England and then
                        went to Hollywood to be a Musical manager or something like that. SO
                        if such records exited they should be older.

                        Wrong, last week end I was browsing the 78 rpm part of the collection
                        and came across one record.

                        It is a Mexican recoding made in the late 1940's or early 50's, it
                        seems that Mr. Hoagland retired form movies, he came to Mexico and
                        played in a fancy ballroom (Ciros's) in one of the most luxurious
                        hotels of that time in Mexico City (Hotel Reforma).

                        The band should be a mix of American and Mexican musicians and had a
                        very "personal sound" with a walking bass, that resembles a fox
                        trotting.

                        That is why for myself the term "Fox Trot" means a fox trotting and
                        not a rhythm invented by Mr. Fox in Broadway an early 20th century.
                        (I am not arguing this).

                        The point is, if anyone wants the images of the labels or the sounds,
                        just ask.
                        (It seems I cannot post them here)

                        The melodies were for dancing, not really Hot Jazz:
                        • Little White Lies
                        • Softly Lights and Sweet music (sic)
                        Regards
                        re_p_g_c@...