RE: [RedHotJazz] Re: Arville Harris was 'Red Hot Flo'

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 22, 2008
      Many many thanks to Yves.

      'One O'clock' is indeed closest supposed Arville to 'Flo'.

      Just played through the complete Barrelhouse 5 QRSs from Jan 1929 which
      offer extremely exposed and -- presumably? -- undisputed Arville.

      Difficult to hear even a sniff of Dodds in this rather poor clarinet
      playing. His alto is better and maybe we can regard him as a saxophonist
      required to double clarinet with resultant technical problems.

      Also just played through the Cabs -- thanks Michael -- and the supposed
      Arville here is, at best, barely competent in this environment. But also no
      Dodds.

      'One O'clock ' and 'Flo' must then, if Arville, be considered aberrations
      from his normal non-Doddsian mediocrity.

      I quite like his clarinet (and is it possible to hear faint Dodds?) on the
      Wallers, certainly improvement on the QRSs, but his tenor is better.

      We are still left with how Arville -- if he -- absorbed enough Dodds to
      paraphrase seemingly at whim.