Le Jazz En France by Olivier Brard & Daniel Nevers

  • contijoch
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 29, 2004
      Dear Scott:

      This is a work in progress, I think. I was lucky enough to find the first
      three parts when I bought the papers of a deceased argentine collector. Each
      part has an alphabetical order from A-Z. So, if you want to find for
      example: "Orchestre Jazz Du Moulin Rouge", you must look in the "O" letter
      of the three parts.

      The work I have is typed with a typewriter (not PC) and printed in 237 A-4
      pages. I don't know if there are more parts available.

      The copyright is 1989-1991. For those interested there is an address: M.A.D
      (Musique Archives Documents) B.P. NÂș 9, F-65700 CASTELNAU-RB, France.
      For those who speak french, can phone to: 62 31 90 61 or fax 62 31 90 60. Be
      ware that this information is from 1991.

      It's a great work, with plenty of information about the jazz recorded in
      France, not only by the french musicians but for others that recorded there
      (Rex Stewart, Lud Gluskin, Bill Coleman, and so on)

      Full personnel when is known, matrix number, title, vocal, date and issue
      (78 and LP/CD)

      Luis Contijoch

    • Scott Alexander
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 29, 2004
        Luis,
        Does Le Jazz En France list Billy Arnold's Novelty Jazz Band?

        I have what I believe is an incomplete discography of the band here:
        http://www.redhotjazz.com/banb.html

        Did he record anything else in France?

        I would also like to draw attention to the fine work Luis has been gracious
        enough to contribute to the Red Hot Jazz Archive. He has been documenting
        Argentine jazz bands of the 1920s on the site.

        http://www.redhotjazz.com/eliorietti.html
        http://www.redhotjazz.com/eliorietti.html
        http://www.redhotjazz.com/lomuto.html
        http://www.redhotjazz.com/armanicospito.html
        http://www.redhotjazz.com/armanio.html
        http://www.redhotjazz.com/cospito.html
        http://www.redhotjazz.com/aviles.html
        http://www.redhotjazz.com/gonzalezjazzband.html

        Scott Alexander
        The Red Hot Jazz Archive
        www.redhotjazz.com
      • contijoch
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 30, 2004
          <Luis,

          <Does Le Jazz En France list Billy Arnold's Novelty Jazz Band?

          <I have what I believe is an incomplete discography of the band here:

          <http://www.redhotjazz.com/banb.html> <http://www.redhotjazz.com/banb.html

          Yes, Scott, are listed both Billy Arnold's Novelty Jazz Band and Billy
          Arnold Et son Orchestre

          Checking your discography page, I see some missing titles and they are:

          BILLY ARNOLD'S NOVELTY JAZZ BAND
          early june 1923
          6950-3r Electric Girl (Pathe 6617)

          june 1923
          6966r Virginia (sic) Blues (Pathe 6627)
          6967r Wind In The Trees (Pathe 6627)
          6968r Touaregs (Pathe 6626)
          6969-5r Tricks (Pathe 6626)

          BILLY ARNOLD ET SON ORCHESTRE
          early november 1930
          300874-1 Anytime's The Time To Fall In Love (Pathe 8784)
          300875-1 Just Like A Story Book (Pathe 8785)
          300876-1 Happy Days Are Here Again (Pathe 8784)
          300877-1 With You (Pathe 8785)

          june 26, 1931
          301220-1 The Peanuts Vendor (Pathe X-96046)
          301221-1 Unidentified Title (Rhumba) (Pathe rejected)
          301222-1 Walkin' My Baby Back Home (Pathe X-96046)
          301223-1 Unidentified Title (Fox-trot) (Pathe (rejected)

          all sessions recorded in Paris, in this discography are missing the London
          titles, listed in your page.

          All the best

          Luis Contijoch