RE: [RedHotJazz] Nelson, Eugene, and Bill Russell (was: Barnes Bocage)

    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 30, 2005
      Rob

      We agree on the existence of a non-tailgate N.O.trb. style post-revival and
      are still left with it's origins. I suggest it was the response of
      trombonists coming from a swing section environment to the demands of the
      revived 40s ensemble role. It is a pretty simple style owing nothing to the
      work of Teagarden and school. Are there any examples in the limited pre-war
      N.O. output ? Can experts in the 'classic' area find any wider provenance ?

      Nobody in this world is a greater admirer of the great Bill Russell than
      myself and to him we owe the debt for not only the AMs but also the glorious
      music recorded in their wake. However, we must accept that he brought his
      own agenda to N.O.in the 40s and played, at least, as active a role in the
      creation of this unique music as any musician.

      We also agree on the appropriateness of the work of Nelson within the Thomas
      band.

      Still left. Did Bill re-invent the banjo ?