Tenor banjo music

  • Lanny Fields
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 10, 2008
      Hello,
      My name is Lanny and I'm new to this forum. I've been playing tenor
      banjo years. I've heard a lot of Irish Tenor Banjo and old-time music,
      but not much jazz, ragtime, jugband, swing, polkas, hokum, blues, etc.
      featuring 4-string banjo. I was wondering if anyone could point me in
      the direction of recordings featuring tenor banjo to check out...both
      pre-war "RedHotJazz" era and beyond. I've heard a little bit of this
      style...Elmer Snowden and R. Crumb's Cheap Suit Serenaders, for
      example, but I'd love to know about some more.

      Thanks,
      Lanny
      lannyfields@...
    • Fredrik Tersmeden
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 11, 2008
        Hello and welcome Lanny!

        Here are a couple of links to pages devoted to two of the great
        banjoists of the 1920s that I think you might find intersting:

        http://www.redhotjazz.com/reser.html

        http://www.redhotjazz.com/peabody.html

        Fredrik
      • Lanny Fields

          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 11, 2008
            Recordings of 70s era New Orleans bands would be one good source.
            Contemporary bands such as the superb New Black Eagle Jazz Band is another
            avenue. Live listening is also great, of course. Where are you located?

            Ron L

            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 11, 2008
              Google Jimmy Mazzy for lots of Web sites to hear him play in many different groups.

              Larry Swain
              From: Lanny Fields <lannyfields@...>
              > Thanks. Are there more recent players? Eddy Davis, Don Vappie, Tyler Jackson,
              > Cynthia Sayer, Tom Marion for example?Lanny
              >
              > To: RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.comFrom: fredrik.tersmeden@...: Fri, 11
              > Jul 2008 11:22:44 +0000Subject: [RedHotJazz] Re: Tenor banjo music

              > Hello and welcome Lanny!
              >
              > Here are a couple of links to pages devoted to two of the great
              > banjoists of the 1920s that I think you might find intersting:
              >
              > http://www.redhotjazz.com/reser.html
              >
              > http://www.redhotjazz.com/peabody.html
              >
              > Fredrik

            • heckman_michael
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 18, 2008
                For up-to-date banjo virtuosity, go to youtube and search for Buddy
                Wachter.

                --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Ron L'Herault" <lherault@...>
                wrote:

                > Recordings of 70s era New Orleans bands would be one good source.
                > Contemporary bands such as the superb New Black Eagle Jazz Band is
                another
                > avenue. Live listening is also great, of course. Where are you
                located?

                > Ron L

              • urbie4
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 9, 2008
                  I'm a little behind the curve with this thread (July!), but there
                  might be some interest in a Jimmy Mazzy podcast that I crank out on a
                  monthly basis:

                  http://www.kafalas.net/jazz

                  It's from a regular session he had about 20 years ago. (Actually, the
                  session is still ongoing, but the ones I taped were from '88-9.)

                  You can also get the podcast on iTunes, by searching for JIMMY MAZZY.

                  Urb

                  --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, l.swain@... wrote:

                  > Google Jimmy Mazzy for lots of Web sites to hear him play in many
                  different groups.

                  > Larry Swain
                • Ron L
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 10, 2008
                    I'm going up to Concord, to the Colonial Inn in Concord this Wednesday night
                    to sit in with Jim and his Last Minute Men. He's still going strong and
                    having lots of fun playing.

                    Ron L

                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 10, 2008
                      We're going to the Sherborn Inn Tuesday night for diner and the Wolverines' last concert there this year.

                      Larry S

                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 10, 2008
                        Urb:

                        How enticing!

                        Jimmy and Carrie are friends, and we enjoy seeing them at the Colonial Inn -- we'll see Jimmy tomorrow night at the Sherborn Inn where he'll be playing with John Clark's Wolverines.

                        So I tried, without success, to watch

                        http://kafalas.net/jazz/archives/29

                        Once the horizontal bar was all green, "Buffering" continued to flash, and I couldn't get it to play.

                        Any suggestions? My PC runs Windows XP.

                        Hopefully,

                        Larry Swain

                        I'm a little behind the curve with this thread (July!), but there
                        might be some interest in a Jimmy Mazzy podcast that I crank out on a
                        monthly basis:

                        http://www.kafalas.net/jazz

                        It's from a regular session he had about 20 years ago. (Actually, the
                        session is still ongoing, but the ones I taped were from '88-9.)

                        You can also get the podcast on iTunes, by searching for JIMMY MAZZY.

                        Urb

                        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, l.swain@... wrote:

                        > Google Jimmy Mazzy for lots of Web sites to hear him play in many
                        different groups.

                        > Larry Swain

                      • tiffany_hingle
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 10, 2008
                          Ron do you know much on Jazz bands from the 30's I have many pictures
                          but I haven't a clue who these bands are and so far no one has been
                          able to help identify them. But every one wants me to donate the scrap
                          book .. Some bands I know who they are like art landry but others I
                          haven't a clue.. I know the Tenor sax player was the owner of the
                          book and his name was Bernard Fanning ..

                          Considering he was born in 1904 I think he is past gone by now.. It's
                          strange why on earth is this mans stuff in with my great grandfathers.
                          No clue there

                          I'm more than happy to email the pictures to any one who might be able
                          to help.

                          Tiffany

                          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Ron L" <lherault@...> wrote:

                          > I'm going up to Concord, to the Colonial Inn in Concord this
                          Wednesday night
                          > to sit in with Jim and his Last Minute Men. He's still going
                          strong and
                          > having lots of fun playing.
                          >
                          > Ron L

                        • clownschooldropouts
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 10, 2008
                            If Tiffany could put these pictures up on Flicker or some other online
                            photo site that would be great! Even if I might not be able to
                            identify the bands, I'd love to see them all the same.
                            -frank

                            --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "tiffany_hingle" <tinker264@...> wrote:

                            > Ron do you know much on Jazz bands from the 30's I have many pictures
                            > but I haven't a clue who these bands are and so far no one has been
                            > able to help identify them. But every one wants me to donate the scrap
                            > book .. Some bands I know who they are like art landry but others I
                            > haven't a clue.. I know the Tenor sax player was the owner of the
                            > book and his name was Bernard Fanning ..
                            >
                            > Considering he was born in 1904 I think he is past gone by now.. It's
                            > strange why on earth is this mans stuff in with my great grandfathers.
                            > No clue there
                            >
                            > I'm more than happy to email the pictures to any one who might be able
                            > to help.
                            >

                            > Tiffany
                            >
                            > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Ron L" <lherault@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I'm going up to Concord, to the Colonial Inn in Concord this
                            > Wednesday night
                            > > to sit in with Jim and his Last Minute Men. He's still going
                            > strong and
                            > > having lots of fun playing.
                            > >
                            > > Ron L

                          • Robert Hellyer
                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 10, 2008
                              Larry,
                              There's nothing to watch. It's all audio. You might try clicking on the beginning of the
                              bar to see if that gets it working. This is an MP3 file.
                              Hope this helps,
                              Bob

                              I'm a little behind the curve with this thread (July!), but there
                              might be some interest in a Jimmy Mazzy podcast that I crank out on a
                              monthly basis:

                              http://www.kafalas.net/jazz

                              It's from a regular session he had about 20 years ago. (Actually, the
                              session is still ongoing, but the ones I taped were from '88-9.)

                              You can also get the podcast on iTunes, by searching for JIMMY MAZZY.

                              Urb

                              --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, l.swain@... wrote:

                              > Google Jimmy Mazzy for lots of Web sites to hear him play in many
                              different groups.

                              > Larry Swain

                            • Ron L'Herault
                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 11, 2008
                                Replied off list.

                                Ron L

                                Message 15 of 17 , Nov 11, 2008
                                  Thanks for your reply.

                                  I suddenly began having no success watching YouTube videos with FireFox, even though I've been using it for that for a long time, and thought I was having the same problem with your material, as I couldn't get the mp3s to play, either.

                                  Visit to FireFox help revealed that others are having the same problem, so they switch to Internet Explorer browser and everything works.

                                  So that's what I did to listen to your cuts, which sound just fine -- THANKS!

                                  Larry

                                  I'm a little behind the curve with this thread (July!), but there
                                  might be some interest in a Jimmy Mazzy podcast that I crank out on a
                                  monthly basis:

                                  http://www.kafalas.net/jazz

                                  It's from a regular session he had about 20 years ago. (Actually, the
                                  session is still ongoing, but the ones I taped were from '88-9.)

                                  You can also get the podcast on iTunes, by searching for JIMMY MAZZY.

                                  Urb

                                  --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, l.swain@... wrote:

                                  > Google Jimmy Mazzy for lots of Web sites to hear him play in many
                                  different groups.

                                  > Larry Swain

                                • tiffany_hingle
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Nov 13, 2008
                                    Frank ,

                                    I do not know how to put the pictures on flicker. But I did email 16
                                    photo's to Ron .. Ron is more than welcome to post the pictures w/ my
                                    contact info.

                                    Tiffany
                                  • tiffany_hingle
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Nov 13, 2008
                                      [Moderator's suggestion : maybe it would be a good idea to post the URL for those who have no idea where "there" can be]

                                      Ok I managed to put some pictures on here. Go check them out .

                                      Tiffany