Re: Elmer Talbert

  • Robert Greenwood
    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 3, 2008
      Thanks, Dave, for reminding us of the GTJ sides, and the excellent
      Herbert Otto's Party session which includes tracks by the George Lewis
      Band with Talbot, and a similar band featuring Herb Morand and Albert
      Burbank. Most of the tracks were recorded by Otto, an enthusiast who
      also recorded Big Eye Louis Nelson at Luthjen's and Herb Morand with
      Andrew Morgan at Mama Lou's. Other tracks at the Otto's Party were
      recorded by my namesake, Robert Greenwood, a librarian at Tulane.
      Gilbert: Were you by any chance a guest at this famous party? Did you
      know Herbert Otto?
      Robert Greenwood.
    • Gilber M. Erskine
      Message 2 of 24 , Jul 3, 2008
        <<<Gilbert- Were you by any chancea guest at Herbert Otto's famous party where Tulane librarian Robert Greenwood recorded George Lewis and Elmer Talbot. Did you know Herbert Otto?---Robert Greenwood>>>

        No, I was not at that party. I was once invited to a gathering at Greenwood's apartment in the Quarter, the circumstances I no longer remember, though I believe Dick Allen, who had just arrived from Atlanta, was there. Greenwood had the enormously charming Old South good manners, impossible to describe, except that he radiated good will toward everyone he came in contact with.

        Herbert Otto was a graduate student at Tulane, and his apartment in the Quarter was famous for gatherings of every type of artistic people you could imagine--- literary people, abstract art painters, musicians, the whole works. Very bohemian. I was there often.

        Luthjen's, where Big Eye played, was a neighborhood club just to the northeast of the Quarter. The patrons were elderly people who liked waltzes. The out of town collectors who went there only went out of respect for one of the legendary figures in N.O. jazz. The music played there was totally uninteresting, and I was only there a couple of times.

        I was in N.O. on a short vacation visit in the summer of 1946, and ran into Sam Rudivitch and Bill Bowers from New York. I visited George Lewis with them. Sam wrote to me later, saying that he and Bill had discovered Emile Barnes, and were so impressed that they recorded him. He said to keep it quiet that he prefered Emile to George.

        A year or two later, I was invited, with a few others, to a First Communion breakfast for George's daughter. I can tell you that George's wife was a first class New Orleans chef, her red beans and rice was incredibly delicious, so good that I thought it was the whole meal, but it was only the first course. It was followed by chicken and shrimp gumbo, and there are no people on earth that can do gumbo the way they do in N.O.
        -----GILBERT M. ERSKINE

        Message 3 of 24 , Jul 4, 2008
          All fascinating stuff. I've read the quote before about Jim
          Robinson,can anyone remind me of the source?

          Re Talbert's 'illness',Charters mentions strokes.

          There seems to be a vast divergence of opinion about Talbert's
          ability,George Lewia,seemed happy with him, Doc Souchon compares him
          with Oliver.

          Have sorted out the AM Cd's ,38/74/85 & 104 and will have a listen
          tonight.Note from a brief read that mr erskine gets a mention in one of
          the sleeve notes.

          Marco, thanks for the info re Edinburgh,had looked so many times at
          their website in the past and found it still featuring 2007 that I kind
          of gave up on it,should have remembered and looked there first.

          Fraser
        • Robert Greenwood
          Message 4 of 24 , Jul 4, 2008
            --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Gilber M. Erskine" <gerskine@...>
            wrote:

            > <<<Gilbert- Were you by any chancea guest at Herbert Otto's famous
            party where Tulane librarian Robert Greenwood recorded George Lewis and
            Elmer Talbot. Did you know Herbert Otto?---Robert Greenwood>>>

            > No, I was not at that party.

            Gilbert: Thank you so much for this fascinating & detailed reply. When
            are you going to write your memoirs?

            Robert G.
          • fraser540021
            Message 5 of 24 , Jul 6, 2008
              I gather from an old issue of "Footnote", that the nickname came from a
              girlfriend of Elmer's,who apparently was known as Coo Coo.Elmer's
              friends decided to give him the same nickname.

              Apparently according to George Lewis,Elmer's talents were on the
              decline due to health issues - heart problems,at the time of the
              recordings.George Lewis still seemed to have rated him highly.

              Both Lionel Ferbos and Kid Sheik spoke highly of Talbert's talents as a
              trumpet player.

              Fraser
            • yves francois