Re: [RedHotJazz] Helen Rowland

  • Dan Van Landingham
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 2, 2008
           Denis-

           I've never heard of Helen Rowland myself but Ben Selvin recorded for many different labels throughout the '20s and '30s.I remember having records of his band on Victor as
      well as Columbia.It was said that he was a notorius label hopper but then again alot of
      those recording artists did the same.Ellington,in the '20s,recorded for OKeh,Victor and
      Columbia under his own name.His men recorded for several labels under the guise of
      several pseudonyms.In one of my previous blogs,I spoke of the merging of Sony whch
      now owns the masters from Columbia and OKeh as well as Brunswick,Vocalion,Melotone
      as well as Master and Variety labels.All told,there were at least several other labels that
      CBS controlled by way of their buying out of the American Recording Company.Perfect
      and Domino as well as Harmony-Velvet Tone.Another label they wound up owning was
      Pathe-Actuelle.BMG acquired the masters of Victor.I felt that EMI should have taken
      over the Victor masters as EMI came about by way of the merging of The Gramophone
      Company(the British arm of RCA)and British Columbia(no pun intended)which was the
      then parent company of American Columbia.American Columbia would be sold to the
      Grigsby-Grunow Company briefly.Ben Selvin,in the '40s,wound up being an executive for
      Majestic Recods and it was he who did an exhaustive study in the early '40s that led to
      the infamous recording ban by the American Federation of Musicians from 1 August 1941
      to 14 November 1944.I hope this helps you.

      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 24, 2014

        Dear All,

        I am trying to find info. etc. on  a favourite vocalist of mine the mysterious Miss Helen Rowland those recording career only seemed to span from 1929 to 1933 then nothing.??

        She made quite a few recordings with Freddie Rich, Isham Jones,Phil Spitlany,Ben Selvin ,etc. during that period.

        Any help would be greatly appreciated

        Regards

        Denis King

        Sydney, Australia

      • David Weiner
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 24, 2014
          Hi Denis,

          Her married name was Helene Daniels and she continued to record under that name until around 1937.

          Dave Weiner

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 25, 2014

            Dear Dave,

            Thanks for your reply, Miss Rowland's recording/ history info. is certainly a mystery?!

            Regards

            Denis

          • denis107
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 19, 2014

              Dear All,

              I have just received news that a cd dedicated to the vocals of Miss Helen Rowland will be released in a few months by Crystal Stream Audio in Melbourne Australia.

              To my knowledge this will be the first time a disc is dedicated to her recordings??

              Will keep the list informed of the release.

              Regards

              Denis King

            • denis107
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 7, 2014

                Dear All,

                The Helen Rowland cd has just been released in Australia by Crystal Stream Audio in Melbourne, recordings from 1930-1933 total playing time 79mins-42 sec.

                More info at  www:crystream.com.au/cat288.htm

                Regards

                Denis King

              • M
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 8, 2014
                  Good afternoon!  I have been a part of this yahoo group for a long time and never share info.  Pardon me.

                  To those jazz lovers who love history I will share this ..
                  My father was Rodney Richardson (also sometimes known as Rod).
                  He was a bass player who played with many of those who popularized what we now call jazz.  :-)  He was a native of New Orleans.  He passed away in 2005, at the age of 88 (we say he was a full set of piano keys!).  He shared a birthday with Count Basie whom he worked with for many years and was part of the "All American Rhythm Section".  He also worked and/or recorded with Basie, Billie Holiday, Lester Young, and Nat King Cole to name a few .. oh, also Art Tatum, Earl Garner, Miles, Monk, and Dizzy.  He was tall and handsome and incredibly talented.  I came to appreciation at a late date .. it was when he came to work with me .. often times the band would drop out and my father and I would finish the tune on our own ... I could close my eyes and he would just lead me down a path .. I did as much listening as performing .. I think the man was genius-like!  MAN COULD HE PLAY.

                  --
                  Michele Richardson
                  Central Valley Media
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 22, 2014

                    Dear All,

                    Crystal Stream Audio in Melbourne Australia has just released a cd featuring the vocals of Miss Helen Rowland 25  recordings from 1930-1933  25 recordings, total running time 79mins-42 sec.

                    More info can be obtained at: CRYSTAL STREAM AUDIO Cds from remastered original recordings

                    Regards

                    Denis King