Re: Tommy and Bix Pee Wee and Raymond

  • rogerstrong257
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 29, 2008
      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Standish" <mojohand@...>
      wrote:

      > There can be no doubt that Bix, Tommy, Pee Wee and Ray Burke will
      be chuffed at the wondrous flow of attention their music is
      generating down here.Chuffed, but puzzled.
      > Bix was a freak, a genius - he had a tone that hundreds of
      imitators could not reproduce, he could sear his way across the
      musical sky like a shooting star, taking ensembles to awesome and
      exciting heights (Riverboat Shuffle, Goose Pimples, Since my Best
      Girl). Tommy Ladnier could bear down on the blues with Bessie,
      provide an exquisite hot lead for Lovie Austin,or be a star soloist
      with Fletcher Henderson.
      > I've already banged on about Pee Wee. Both he and Ray Burke were
      unique characters, and their music reflected their personalities.
      > Ray hardly ever strayed beyond the boundaries of New Orleans.
      Back in the Jan. 1960 of Eureka, we reprinted (from The Second Line)
      an Al Rose article on Raymond which describes an eccentric, highly-
      principled musician - a loner who had soaked up the sounds of his
      city for decades.The music reflected the man. I'm sure he had
      listened to Pee Wee, just as George had listened to Woody, and the
      Guv'nor to Harry James.
      > But?
      > Do we need a winner?
      > Let the good times roll..
      > Tony S.
      >

      > Well said! I completely agree-lets celibrate the music we love
      and discuss it with affection. I love you description of Bix-better
      that I could have expressed it.
      Thanks for that!

      Roger Strong