Re: Tommy Ladnier (was re: Hughes Panassie}

  • Robert Greenwood
    Message 1 of 44 , Jun 28, 2008
      May I also put in a word for Ladnier? His solo on Weary Blues, recorded at a session for
      Bluebird on November 28, 1938, in my opinion surpasses not only Mezzrow's contribution to
      that track, but also Bechet's.

      Robert Greenwood
    • Mordechai Litzman
      Message 44 of 44 , Jul 3, 2008
        Growing up in Sweden I met Orjan Kjellin (and Lars Ivar Edegran, p) in 1962 playing in the Imperial Band. This band was modeled on the early American revival bands from the 40's and 50's. They recorded their first titles on Sture Hallstom's Pirate Records. On a pre Katarina visit to New Orleans a few years ago I found a CD issued on GHB BCD-144 with all their 17 recorded titles. These recordings have stood the test of time. How a bunch of Swedish teenagers aged 17-18 could sound almost as good as the 1953 Delmark recordings of Geo Lewis is beyond me.