Gunther Schuller

  • Tommer
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28 2:53 PM
      Clarifying about my comments about Schuller. I didn't say he was a
      racist or antisemic! I just showed how easy it is to create speculation
      about things, be it about Panassie "racism", or 'the poor Panassie who
      was biased by Mezzrow theory', whenever someone is accused as such,
      there is a need to show facts. And there is no such fact. In no place
      Panassie is doing anything that Schuller didn't. I brought Schuller
      because I think it is a way to compare. Sculler had his own ideas, just
      like Panassie. Personally, I think that between the 1934 and the 1943
      Panassie got better understanding of Jazz.

      Panassie praised Mezzrow. Schuller praised Bix. Both explain their
      thoughts. So, what makes Panassie's opinion racism and Schuller's
      opinion strict literature? I think it is a matter of those who like Bix
      and anything that doesn't praise him for them it is racism or bias. If
      it is not PAnassie, than they think it must be Mezzrow who puts the
      words in poor Panassie mouth!

      To read the explanation of Schuller about Bix greatness just makes me
      wonder. He is just saying that he is going to get beyond the legend,
      before he start praising Bix genetics! It is much more suspicious, I
      must say, than anything ever was written by Panassie!!!

      So, I challenge anyone to show anything that Panassie was doing that is
      racism. I will do my best to find relative stuff in Schuller.

      One thing to clarify, I don;t hate Schuller, and I don't have problems
      with what he wrote, I donlt say he is racist or anything like that, he
      is legitimate, I even see him as a great writer, even if I have a
      totally different taste in music than his, I still appreciate his
      works, and learn from it while I can, just that I had enough with the
      blames I read against Panassie , Mezzrow, Blesh and others, so
      unjustified, you get the idea, and if Schuller is the one to use as a
      counter example, let it be it.

      Tommer