AW: [RedHotJazz] JSP 600s

  • Rader, Michael
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 29, 2004
      Bonjour Patrice,

      Maybe this is slightly OT, but anyway you're the moderator (;-) and I know exactly what you mean: there was a partwork series by Orbis called "The Blues Collection", which covered the entire range of blues from the 20s to the 90s. My wife bought me the first issue and encouraged me to subscribe(!). The CDs are something of a mixed bag with some recordings that have been reissued to death. But at one time, I was doing work in the basement and put on a newly arrived CD in the series called the "Thirties Blues" or it might have been the Texas Blues set. The latter includes some sides accompanied by jazz musicians (just to get back on topic). Anyway, I was immediately struck by the quality of th sound coming from my speakers - not what you would expect of a cheap magazine. After donning my glasses (;-(), I found that the credits included transfers by John R.T. Davies. In fact he did several CDs for this series, which are really hidden treasures.

      As for the Beatles, it seems that George Harrison always took a ukelele with him on his travels (at least after the Beatles split) and Paul McCartney does a tribute (I think "Something") to this on the Concert for George DVD (which my wife bought, I must hasten to add ;-). The JSP box, restored by Ted Kendall, refers to Harrison's love for Formby.

      To get back on topic, and since I know that you like Django, do you have the JSP "Django in Rome" set and what is your opinion on the music (latter-day Django)? I know that Frémeaux has an extremely comprehensive Django reissue, but I also know that many people prefer Ted Kendall's restoration work.

      Michael