Re: [RedHotJazz] Looking for people who studied with:

  • drdee51@verizon.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 28, 2008
      Well, I studied with Jo Jones, and he adored Billy Gladstone. He told me that when he could, he would go to Radio City and stare at Gladstone's technique all day. Rich did, too, while holding a pair of sticks in his hands down on his lap and worked to replicate his grip and wrist motions. But that is not what you are looking for, I think. Louie Bellson studied with Stone IF my memory still serves me, and he can be reached through the REMO Company. A friend of his told me he answers his mail.

      From: Rob Smith <jabondo@...>
      Date: 2008/06/27 Fri PM 07:45:50 CDT
      To: RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [RedHotJazz] Looking for people who studied with:

      Hi, this is my first post on the listserv and I was hoping to find
      anyone who had studied with, or could put me in touch with someone who
      studied with, the following teachers:
      George L. Stone
      Billy Gladstone
      Charlie Wilcoxon
      Joe Sefcik

      If you see the connection, buy yourself something nice!

      I needn't explain how important these guys were/are to drummers
      everywhere! Name your favorite drummer and he probably studied with
      one of these guys.

      Thanks and I hope to hear from someone!
      Rob Smith