Trad jazz in NYC

  • Harry Schwartzman
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 26, 2008
      There is a semblance of a scene here I guess...

      David Otswald and his Gullylow Jazz Band play Birdland on wednesdays from 5 to 7pm, a.k.a. 'the early show'.

      There is, of course the Hot Jazz/Cool Garden series here at Pop's house, July 20th is the next installment.

      Young bands, some of whom will be playing the house this year and some I hope to book in the future include the Walker Street Orphans, Red Hook Ramblers and the Stumblebum Brass Band (plays a weirdo- N.O. funeral style). The Ramblers are playing this event : http://www. geminiandscorpio. com/events. html this Saturday at Galapagos in Williamsburg...

      I'd say that this music is alive and kicking and exists outside dusty thrift-store record bins! It just needs support from fans.

      Good luck and happy hunting,
      Harry