RE: [RedHotJazz] does any one have information about this record?

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 28 9:07 AM
      An article describing this session appears in Jazz Journal, June 1970 on
      Johnny Wiggs, who, although he recorded it, does not state date of
      recording.

      " --They were made on an acetate cutting machine before tape recordings came
      out. They were made in the nurses and orderlies room on Snoozer's ward at
      the hospital where he was a patient suffering from advanced tuberculosis. I
      had to sweep the threads off the cutting needle and the nurses and orderlies
      were opening the door to see what all the racket was about. I was trying to
      keep the door shut and running the machine and playing the cornet with one
      hand. I was playing with a cold lip after being off cornet for 18 years and
      didn't have a chance to warm up. I'm not proud of my cornet playing but
      there was too much of the great Snoozer on the duets to keep me from
      releasing all the tunes. "

      Later Wiggs states

      " Snoozer was just about the sweetest person I have ever met in my life, he
      was lovely and peaceful, a complete musician. He could play guitar all day
      long because it was part of his insides, his bones, his makeup." That's
      nice.

      Wiggs also says that Snoozer taught Jack Teagarden to sing, " the way that
      sounds like their teeth are together " when they were both members of Peck
      Kelley's Bad Boys.

      Wiggs also definitely remembers hearing 'about' eight Victor test pressings
      of Snoozer recorded in the 20s. Snoozer also told Wiggs that he had cut
      another eight sides for Columbia in Houston.

      The loss of these sides must be among the greatest in Jazz History for on
      the evidence we have Snoozer was a remarkable and original player.