Re: [RedHotJazz] Blu-Disc 1004

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 27, 2005
      on 27/6/05 15:29, Robert Smith at robert.smith@... wrote:

      > Howard, just a little footnote to your posting:
      >
      > In my discography (Jazz Directory by Dave Carey and Albert J. McCarthy publ.
      > 1951) , it is stated that "Rose Marie" and "Nashville Nightingale" were also
      > issued on Triangle 11423 as by "Chic Winter's Orchestra". Unfortunately, this
      > discography only went up to vol. 6 (Ki-Lo), so that all I could find on Chic
      > Winter was that he made a record for Gennett in July, 1926, and the two titles
      > are not mentioned in the RedHotJazz section on Selvin.

      And Nashville Nightingale (only) is listed in Brian Rust's American Dance
      Band Discography under Chic Winters (which was his name rather than Chic
      Winter). Max Vreede's reconstruction of the Bridgeport Die & Machine Co.
      files does show the reverse as Rose Marie with same credit, and shows it
      also on Pennington 1423, which Brian lists under Bar Harbor Society
      Orchestra as Emerson master 42733-1 from Emerson 10799.

      Max appears to think that the version of Rose Marie on the Blu-Disc is not
      this version and Brian does not list it either, so how many versions there
      really are is anybody's guess. Who would care enough to compare them?
      Certainly not me!

      It would be interesting to know, however, whether the Blu-Disc is really
      credited to Ellington or whether this is just an error in an advertisement.
      There is no suggestion in ADBD that it is credited to Ellington and if it is
      not that would account for Brian's decision to drop the note from JR. This
      may be altogether too logical a deduction!

      The reverse of