Re: [RedHotJazz] Obit: Bill Finegan; big-band arranger; 91

  • Dan Van Landingham
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 13, 2008
      The first Finegan arrangement I ever heard was on Miller's Bluebird 78 "Little Brown Jug".
      It was one of the best recording Miller ever made.I didn't know much of Finegan until then
      I read George T. Simon's book "The Big Bands(Macmillan,1967)" as well as Simon's 1974
      biography "Glenn Miller and his Orchestra(Da Capo Press).I came away with the impres-
      son that somehow Miller intimidated him.According to Simon,Finegan would bring one of
      his charts to a Miller band rehearsal and after Miller played it through,MIller would tell him
      to "bring it down to OUR level".I recall,in the book "The Song is You(Will Friedwall)it was
      Finegan to taught arranging to a young Nelson Riddle.In the book,Finegan comes off as
      a smart,savvy "in the know" kind of man.That smart,savvy arranger crumbles under Miller.
      I came away wondering if that was Miller's way of showing envy regarding the fact that
      Miller was a good but not great arranger.Regarding the charts he did,Billy May once said
      that his heart bled for Finegan after Miller and Chummy MacGregor would,in his eyes,b-
      utcher one of Finegan's charts.
           After Miller went into the Army Air Corps,Finegan returned to Dorsey writing a good
      chart Dorsey recorded in "Bingo,Bango,Boffo";I had that on a worn out Victor 78.I also
      have "Then I'll Be Happy" recorded around the time "The Fabulous Dorseys" was filmed.
      There was a LaserLight CD that came out back in 1991 that has Dorsey playing an exp-
      anded version of the chart.I vaguely remember "Doodletown Fifers";I did have an RCA
      45 of "Nina Never Knew" but it disappeared many years ago.It was a nice chart with a
      good vocal by Joe Mooney who was,as I understand it,a blind accordionist.The record
      dated from 1951 or '52.Finegan will be sadly missed by those,myself included,who re-
      cognised his talent and his immense contribution to the Big Band Era.Perhaps we s-
      hould also recognise Eddie Sauter's contributions to the Era as well.In either case,bo-
      th men should be given equal recognition for their efforts.