RE: [RedHotJazz] Re-creation.

    Message 1 of 37 , Jun 13, 2008
      Shakespeare exists only as text requiring re-invention by each generation in
      its own light. Thus it is alive. Bach likewise, and here I also have some
      problems with 'authenticity'. But definitive Ellington exists in his own
      recordings to defy transcription and re-creation. Even more so with Dodds. I
      once owned a Michael White but jettisoned as pale imitation. Cy Laurie in UK
      in early 50s, fiery and zealous, was a much better Dodds. Indeed if musical
      retrogression can ever be said to have become alive it was in the 50s UK and
      European 'revival' when forms of New Orleans jazz spread as a sort of
      displaced and incongruous folk music. But ersatz nevertheless.

      Young Al Fairweather with Cy is also fine and fiery but still basically
      attenuated Louis as are other trumpeters with the band, Elsdon and Sims. The
      band only however 'lives', becomes its own creature, when lead by Sonny
      Morris who was an original. No coincidence that his formative years were
      spent with Colyer who never recreated anything in his life.

      Relevant what Becker observes of Wilder that, above all others, his
      criterion for excellence in popular music was originality.

    • John O
      Message 37 of 37 , Jun 17, 2008
        Thanks Howard and roger, information much appreciated...