Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Re-creation.

    Message 1 of 37 , Jun 13, 2008
      I hesitate to try and expand Butler¹s quote but I imagine that what was in
      his mind was the difference between choosing repertoire and presentation to
      satisfy the paying customer and playing insincerely or in a wholly
      derivative manner. Obviously there can be a fine line between these two
      stances but it is a fine line that all vernacular musicians in all
      traditions have to tread if they want both to make a living and make
      worthwhile music.

      I have another New Orleans quotation which I keep on my desk top. It is from
      guitarist Ernest McLean, who said, ³You got three people that want to listen
      to a million chords and a million people that want to listen to three
      chords!² He was exaggerating, but not much.

      The same fine line determines whether borrowings from another idiom are
      digested and enrich the tradition they are added to, or whether they just
      produce a meaningless hybrid inferior to all its parents (like so much
      ŒLatin jazz¹), or ultimately a new idiom with its own traditions.

      For good or ill it often needs to be left to posterity to determine this!
      Though it¹s usually a good predictive guide to look whether the new
      hybrid/idiom actually has any roots in any community or constituency, or is
      being produced from above to be handed down. But of course some things which
      originate that way do take root.

      Paradoxically I feel that the music being played at Preservation Hall and
      elsewhere in New Orleans in the noughties, by what is increasingly a mixture
      of musicians who have passed through rhythm-and-blues/soul jazz (two names
      for the same thing in my book) and young men who have come fresh to a
      tradition inherited from their grandfathers rather than their fathers (a
      common enough pattern of cultural transmission) is often more ³authentic²
      than what was originally played at Preservation Hall by their elders in
      company with the odd (sometimes very odd) revivalist. Its spirit and drive
      certainly much more often remind me of the glory days.

      on 13/06/2008 13:48, Robert Greenwood at robertgreenwood_54uk@...
      wrote:

      >> > A recent issue by the New Orleans pianist Henry Butler (Pianola
      > Live, Basin
      >> > Street BSR0803-2) has in its notes an interesting comment by
      > Butler. Of the
      >> > version of ŒBasin Street Blues¹ included, he says, ³I used to
      > practice tunes
      >> > like that, but I wouldn¹t play them in public. I thought it was
      > tourist
      >> > music. Yet playing them day by day opened me up. It¹s only tourist
      > music if
      >> > you play it like tourist music.²
      >> >
      >> > Sums revivalism up in a nut shell.
      >
      > That's a great quote, Howard. With revivalism comes the troubled
      > notion of "authenticity." In some quarters the music played at
      > Preservation Hall or on Bourbon Street has been dismissed as
      > inauthentic or as tourist music, with authenticity being located
      > firmly in the functional dance music played by most of the same
      > musicians at venues way off the tourist trail or at a time when
      > tourism in New Orleans, such as it was, did not include an obligatory
      > sampling of traditional African-American music. But surely the
      > musicians played to suit their audiences? Are they, therefore,
      > not "authentic" no matter what they play? I recall hearing Kid Thomas
      > Valentine playing at a pub in London opposite Mornington Crescent
      > underground station. Like many in the audience that night, I was
      > familiar with Thomas from his recordings and was aware of quite how
      > unhackneyed and varied his repertoire was. Much as I enjoyed that
      > evening, I was disappointed to hear a set comprising well worn
      > standards like Tiger Rag and The Saints. But if Thomas had obliged
      > with, say, a waltz or a rhumba, it would have delighted the New
      > Orleans cognoscenti there that night but no-one would have got up to
      > dance. So, that night, who was "authentic" and who wasn't?
      > Robert Greenwood.

    • John O
      Message 37 of 37 , Jun 17, 2008
        Thanks Howard and roger, information much appreciated...