Re: New member -

  • Tony Bradley
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 8, 2008
      Hi Dan,

      Selling your 78's without permission, that's really bad news. As you
      say, heartbreaking and infuriating. I'm glad to hear you are recovering
      after your op. Forgive my lack of knowledge, but what is the NNDB
      website? I would like to read some of your reviws if they are on the
      net. I also like the clarinet playing of Jimmy Noone and Barney Bigard,
      I play the clarinet myself for pleasure, but obviously, I would not
      place myself in their company. The cat thought not, and left home!

      You mention that Goodman played cornet and trumpet? Are we talking
      Benny Goodman? I had no idea that he played these instruments.

      Take care

      Tony
    • jimmiejazz37
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 9, 2008
        You can hear Goodman's trumpet on the Ben Pollack side, "Waitin' For
        Katy" of Dec 7, 1927.

        Tommy Dorsey also played trumpet on some recordings.

        And the great bassax player of the 1920s, Adrian Rollini, was quite
        adept on several instruments including the trombone, piano and drums.

        Jim
        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Bradley" <bopit56@...> wrote:

        > Hi Dan,
        >
        > Selling your 78's without permission, that's really bad news. As
        you
        > say, heartbreaking and infuriating. I'm glad to hear you are
        recovering
        > after your op. Forgive my lack of knowledge, but what is the NNDB
        > website? I would like to read some of your reviws if they are on
        the
        > net. I also like the clarinet playing of Jimmy Noone and Barney
        Bigard,
        > I play the clarinet myself for pleasure, but obviously, I would not
        > place myself in their company. The cat thought not, and left home!
        >
        > You mention that Goodman played cornet and trumpet? Are we talking
        > Benny Goodman? I had no idea that he played these instruments.
        >
        > Take care
        >
        > Tony

      • Robert Smith
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 9, 2008
          Dear Tony,

          The radio station does have a web-site with a "live radio" banner, but unfortunately the net radio isn't functioning at the moment. We are hoping to get it working again in the not-too-distant future - I'll let you know if and when. The URL is:
          www.radio3rana.no

          One of my all-time favourite tunes is Luis Russell's "Jersey Lightning". It was this record that opened my "mouldie fygge" eyes to big band music, albeit mostly '20's and 30's big bands.

          1968 was the year before I moved from England to Norway.

          We did, in fact, form a big band here in Mo i Rana in the late seventies with yours truly on 1st trombone. This was more a swing band à la Glenn Miller than a jazz orchestra. I have just one recording of the band.

          Kind Regards

          Bob

          --
          Jeg bruker gratisversjonen av SPAMfighter for privatbrukere.
          Den har fjernet 4683 søppelpostmeldinger til nå.

        • Dan Van Landingham
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 9, 2008
            I know of Dorsey's trumpet via his recordings of "It's Right Here For You","You Can't Cheat
            a Cheater" and "Tiger Rag" on OKeh.I had the original Decca 78 of "Eccentric" that featur-
            ed Jimmy Dorsey on trumpet as well as an LP reissue of Tommy Dorsey playing trumpet
            on "Back to Back" from 1939 on Victor.The only other recording of Goodman playing corn-
            et was his 1928 Brunswick recording of "Jungle Blues";I first heard that recording some th-
            irty years ago on an early '40s reissue on Brunswick.I could never tell if it was Goodman
            on cornet or Jimmy McPartland.I had the latter on a circa 1973 MCA LP called "A Jazz H-
            oliday" which featured Goodman and Jack Teagarden.I felt Tommy Dorsey's tone on trum-
            pet shaky:it reminded me of my trumpet playing after I had playing trombone or the reeds.
            I was fine on trumpet when I wasn't doubling.In fact,when I was in college in Coos Bay,Or-
            egon in the early '70s as a music major,this trumpeter,Carlton MacBeth,came here to do
            a clinic as he was promoting a trumpet method originated by one Louis Maggio back in
            the '30s.It was a "no pressure" type of embouchure.Maggio had his chops shredded and
            some of his teeth knocked out while he was at a train station in St. Paul,Minnesota in
            1919.That accident,which could have destroyed his  career,caused him to approach blo-
            wing cornet in a whole new way which was to place the mouthpiece 2/3 on your upper
            lip.You had to keep your jaws forward.It worked but MacBeth told me to stop doubling the
            trombone.I've never seen professional trumpeters double like I did the reed men I knew
            like Skeets Herfurt,Frank Trumbauer,et al.The Maggio system did give you a fatter sound
            and a five octave range.Satchmo could have benefitted from this method.I still use it and
            I still double the saxophones and clarinet.I can tell you a few stories of my "class clown"
            days in high school which I could pay an octave below the written parts when I was a tu-
            ba player.At any rate,thanks for the info.As of late,I had open heart surgery and I had to
            quit playing but I was given the go-ahead by my cardiologist.I spend some time writing
            movie reviews for the NNDB website.

            ============ ========= ========= ========= ========= ========= ========= ====
            --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogro ups.com, "Tony Bradley" <bopit56@... > wrote:

            > Hi Dan,
            >
            > Selling your 78's without permission, that's really bad news. As
            you
            > say, heartbreaking and infuriating. I'm glad to hear you are
            recovering
            > after your op. Forgive my lack of knowledge, but what is the NNDB
            > website? I would like to read some of your reviws if they are on
            the
            > net. I also like the clarinet playing of Jimmy Noone and Barney
            Bigard,
            > I play the clarinet myself for pleasure, but obviously, I would not
            > place myself in their company. The cat thought not, and left home!
            >
            > You mention that Goodman played cornet and trumpet? Are we talking
            > Benny Goodman? I had no idea that he played these instruments.
            >
            > Take care
            >
            > Tony

          • Dan Van Landingham
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 9, 2008
              Use NNDB as your search engine and when you see NNDB on the web page,double click
              on that and it will take you to there.Once there,type in the following:Danny Kaye.When
              you type in his name,you will take you to their bio sketch on him.Scroll down until you
              see the filmography on him.Then scroll down until you see the movies he made.The movies
              I reviewed are "The Five Pennies" and "A Song is Born".Benny Goodman was in that one
              and he was also in a 1944 movie called "Sweet and Lowdown" not to be confused with the
              Sean Penn film of the same name.Type in either Benny Goodman or Lynn Bari for my re-
              view.I also reviewed the movie "King of Jazz":for that,type in Bing Crosby.I let a couple of
              mistakes in spelling.What got me into this was when my friend Al Hendrickson died last
              year.He was working for Benny Goodman at the time "A Song is Born" came out and you
              can see him playing guitar.I gave some of those movies a somewhat harsh review as they
              really distorted the facts and in the case of "The Five Pennies",Danny Kaye resorted to a
              lot of sentimental slop.I have fun doing it.I've got a few more I submitted but that haven't
              been published as of late.Most recently,I reviewed the movie "Amadeus" starromg Tom
              Hulce.Type in his name and repeat the procedure to get my review.

              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 9, 2008
                Hi

                This is one track that I played on one of my shows. It has a real swing
                to it, a loose and enjoyable rhythm. It could easily have been recorded
                ten years later.

                Tony

                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 9, 2008
                  Hi Dan,

                  I have had a look at the NNDB website, most interesting, I look
                  forwards to reading the reviews

                  many thanks

                  Tony

                  --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Dan Van Landingham
                  <danvanlandingham@...> wrote:

                  > I know of Dorsey's trumpet via his recordings of "It's Right
                  Here For You","You Can't Cheat
                  > a Cheater" and "Tiger Rag" on OKeh.I had the original Decca 78
                  of "Eccentric" that featur-
                  > ed Jimmy Dorsey on trumpet as well as an LP reissue of Tommy
                  Dorsey playing trumpet
                  > on "Back to Back" from 1939 on Victor.The only other recording of
                  Goodman playing corn-
                  > et was his 1928 Brunswick recording of "Jungle Blues";I first
                  heard that recording some th-
                  > irty years ago on an early '40s reissue on Brunswick.I could never
                  tell if it was Goodman
                  > on cornet or Jimmy McPartland.I had the latter on a circa 1973 MCA
                  LP called "A Jazz H-
                  > oliday" which featured Goodman and Jack Teagarden.I felt Tommy
                  Dorsey's tone on trum-
                  > pet shaky:it reminded me of my trumpet playing after I had playing
                  trombone or the reeds.
                  > I was fine on trumpet when I wasn't doubling.In fact,when I was in
                  college in Coos Bay,Or-
                  > egon in the early '70s as a music major,this trumpeter,Carlton
                  MacBeth,came here to do
                  > a clinic as he was promoting a trumpet method originated by one
                  Louis Maggio back in
                  > the '30s.It was a "no pressure" type of embouchure.Maggio had his
                  chops shredded and
                  > some of his teeth knocked out while he was at a train station in
                  St. Paul,Minnesota in
                  > 1919.That accident,which could have destroyed his
                  career,caused him to approach blo-
                  > wing cornet in a whole new way which was to place the mouthpiece
                  2/3 on your upper
                  > lip.You had to keep your jaws forward.It worked but MacBeth told
                  me to stop doubling the
                  > trombone.I've never seen professional trumpeters double like I did
                  the reed men I knew
                  > like Skeets Herfurt,Frank Trumbauer,et al.The Maggio system did
                  give you a fatter sound
                  > and a five octave range.Satchmo could have benefitted from this
                  method.I still use it and
                  > I still double the saxophones and clarinet.I can tell you a few
                  stories of my "class clown"
                  > days in high school which I could pay an octave below the written
                  parts when I was a tu-
                  > ba player.At any rate,thanks for the info.As of late,I had open
                  heart surgery and I had to
                  > quit playing but I was given the go-ahead by my cardiologist.I
                  spend some time writing
                  > movie reviews for the NNDB website.

                • Dan Van Landingham
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 9, 2008
                         I didn't know he played trumpet either until 1978 when I checked out a 78 rpm set from
                    the Coos Bay(Oregon)Public Library.That was the album that also showcased Goodman's
                    baritone sax work and Glenn Miller's trombone.As I said on my previous blog,I knew of
                    Tommy and Jimmy Dorsey's respective trumpet and cornet work.Tommy Dorsey even kn-
                    ew how to play sax as he,Jimmy,their sister Mary and their father,Thomas F."Pop" Dors-
                    ey played in the latter's saxophone quartette.Pop Dorsey played baritone,Tommy played
                    tenor and Jimmy and sister Mary played alto.I had read of Tommy Dorsey's sax playing
                    after reading the liner notes on one of RCA's "Complete Tommy Dorsey" series on RCA
                    Bluebird.John Chilton,in his "Who's Who of Classic Jazz",mentioned Tommy playing the
                    clarinet.Bandleader-composer and arranger Larry Clinton did play clarinet and I knew of
                    him as a trumpeter and trombonist.I once saw one of those "soundies" on American
                    Movie Classics back in the '90s.I got my information from Peter Levinson's book on  Tom-
                    my Dorsey "Livin' in a Great Big Way".I had heard of it by way of National Public Radio
                    some years ago.Regarding my record collection:I am slowly rebuilding my collection but
                    I''ve replaced some of the LPs with CD copies.Lastly,referring back to the movie reviews I
                    did for the NNDB website,I did one for the movie "The Fabulous Dorseys" but they have
                    yet to print it.I saw that movie and "King of Jazz" back in 1988 on a now defunct cable
                    channel called "The Nostalgia Channel".I gave most of those movies a rating of no more
                    than one and a half to two stars.I am more into facts rather than the cheap sensational
                    slant movies regarding the bulk of the movies that dealt with musicans.Other movies I am
                    thinking of reviewing are "The Gene Krupa Story" and "The Glenn Miller Story.It's been on
                    Turner Classic Movies for the last couple of weeks.I've seen it before.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 10, 2008
                      Sorry to bother the list with this but I've just done some reformatting of
                      Dan Van Landignham's message to make it easier to read. I want to see if it
                      comes back as I've sent it out or if Yahoogroups does something strange to
                      it. I am sending it out as HTML rather than as plain text.

                      I've added two spaces after periods and eliminated things like

                           (that is an ampersand followed by the letters nbsp,
                      and then a colon, the whole string repeated three more times.)

                      I added the line breaks back in which preserved Dan's hyphenation. Without
                      that, the hyphenated words appeared mid-line or whenever.

                      If Dan is reading this, I'd be curious to know what he is using to compose
                      e-mail. Is it web-based, or Outlook, or some other program? Dan has such
                      nice information and I am having an incredibly hard time deciphering it.

                      Thanks,

                      Ron L

                      From: Tony Bradley <bopit56@yahoo. co. uk>

                      <snip>

                    • Robert Smith
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 10, 2008
                        Dear Ron,

                        Thanks for reformatting Dan's E-mail, it must have taken a good deal of time to do.

                        The result was perfectly legible, but not quite normal. Each line seemed to be about 84 characters in length, but a line feed occurred at or just before character No. 74. The remaining 10+ characters came on the next line followed by a new line feed and then a blank line.

                        I received this E-mail in Outlook Express.

                        If you need to see any results I can always print the E-mail, scan it, and send it to you as a Word document.

                        Kind Regards

                        Bob Smith

                        --
                        Jeg bruker gratisversjonen av SPAMfighter for privatbrukere.
                        Den har fjernet 4700 søppelpostmeldinger til nå.