Re: New member - Tony Bradley

  • Tony Bradley
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 7, 2008
      Hi Bob,

      Many thanks for the welcome.

      You have a lot more Johnny Dodds recordings than me! Do you have a
      website link to your station? Can I hear it on the net? I have
      played some Luis Russell on my show, a band that was swinging long
      before many of the more well known bands caught on in my opinion. I
      went to Norway back in 68, got as far north as Trondheim.

      Kind regards

      Tony

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Smith" <robert.smith@...>
      wrote:

      > Dear Tony,
      >
      > Welcome to the group!
      >
      > Like you, Johnny Dodds is my favourite. I have all his known
      recordings, except for a few alternate takes. In addition to him, I
      have a fairly comprehensive collection of recordings made in the
      1920's - e.g. King Oliver, Louis Armstrong, Jelly Roll Morton, plus
      a lot of small groups, jug bands, washboard bands, and blues singers.

      > I like quite a lot of the earlier big bands, and have records by
      Fletcher Henderson, Luis Russell, Duke Ellington, etc. from the
      1930's.

      > Like you, I also run a weekly jazz programme on our local FM radio
      station here in Mo i Rana in Northern Norway.

      > Kind Regards
      >
      > Bob Smith
      >

      > --
      > Jeg bruker gratisversjonen av SPAMfighter for privatbrukere.
      > Den har fjernet 4643 søppelpostmeldinger til nå.
      > Betalende brukere har ikke denne meldingen i e-postene sine.
      > Få tak i SPAMfighter gratis her: http://www.spamfighter.com/lno

    • Tony Bradley
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 8, 2008
        Hi Dan,

        Selling your 78's without permission, that's really bad news. As you
        say, heartbreaking and infuriating. I'm glad to hear you are recovering
        after your op. Forgive my lack of knowledge, but what is the NNDB
        website? I would like to read some of your reviws if they are on the
        net. I also like the clarinet playing of Jimmy Noone and Barney Bigard,
        I play the clarinet myself for pleasure, but obviously, I would not
        place myself in their company. The cat thought not, and left home!

        You mention that Goodman played cornet and trumpet? Are we talking
        Benny Goodman? I had no idea that he played these instruments.

        Take care

        Tony
      • jimmiejazz37
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 9, 2008
          You can hear Goodman's trumpet on the Ben Pollack side, "Waitin' For
          Katy" of Dec 7, 1927.

          Tommy Dorsey also played trumpet on some recordings.

          And the great bassax player of the 1920s, Adrian Rollini, was quite
          adept on several instruments including the trombone, piano and drums.

          Jim
          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Bradley" <bopit56@...> wrote:

          > Hi Dan,
          >
          > Selling your 78's without permission, that's really bad news. As
          you
          > say, heartbreaking and infuriating. I'm glad to hear you are
          recovering
          > after your op. Forgive my lack of knowledge, but what is the NNDB
          > website? I would like to read some of your reviws if they are on
          the
          > net. I also like the clarinet playing of Jimmy Noone and Barney
          Bigard,
          > I play the clarinet myself for pleasure, but obviously, I would not
          > place myself in their company. The cat thought not, and left home!
          >
          > You mention that Goodman played cornet and trumpet? Are we talking
          > Benny Goodman? I had no idea that he played these instruments.
          >
          > Take care
          >
          > Tony

        • Robert Smith
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 9, 2008
            Dear Tony,

            The radio station does have a web-site with a "live radio" banner, but unfortunately the net radio isn't functioning at the moment. We are hoping to get it working again in the not-too-distant future - I'll let you know if and when. The URL is:
            www.radio3rana.no

            One of my all-time favourite tunes is Luis Russell's "Jersey Lightning". It was this record that opened my "mouldie fygge" eyes to big band music, albeit mostly '20's and 30's big bands.

            1968 was the year before I moved from England to Norway.

            We did, in fact, form a big band here in Mo i Rana in the late seventies with yours truly on 1st trombone. This was more a swing band à la Glenn Miller than a jazz orchestra. I have just one recording of the band.

            Kind Regards

            Bob

            --
            Jeg bruker gratisversjonen av SPAMfighter for privatbrukere.
            Den har fjernet 4683 søppelpostmeldinger til nå.
            Betalende brukere har ikke denne meldingen i e-postene sine.
            Få tak i SPAMfighter gratis her: http://www.spamfighter.com/lno

          • Dan Van Landingham
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 9, 2008
              I know of Dorsey's trumpet via his recordings of "It's Right Here For You","You Can't Cheat
              a Cheater" and "Tiger Rag" on OKeh.I had the original Decca 78 of "Eccentric" that featur-
              ed Jimmy Dorsey on trumpet as well as an LP reissue of Tommy Dorsey playing trumpet
              on "Back to Back" from 1939 on Victor.The only other recording of Goodman playing corn-
              et was his 1928 Brunswick recording of "Jungle Blues";I first heard that recording some th-
              irty years ago on an early '40s reissue on Brunswick.I could never tell if it was Goodman
              on cornet or Jimmy McPartland.I had the latter on a circa 1973 MCA LP called "A Jazz H-
              oliday" which featured Goodman and Jack Teagarden.I felt Tommy Dorsey's tone on trum-
              pet shaky:it reminded me of my trumpet playing after I had playing trombone or the reeds.
              I was fine on trumpet when I wasn't doubling.In fact,when I was in college in Coos Bay,Or-
              egon in the early '70s as a music major,this trumpeter,Carlton MacBeth,came here to do
              a clinic as he was promoting a trumpet method originated by one Louis Maggio back in
              the '30s.It was a "no pressure" type of embouchure.Maggio had his chops shredded and
              some of his teeth knocked out while he was at a train station in St. Paul,Minnesota in
              1919.That accident,which could have destroyed his  career,caused him to approach blo-
              wing cornet in a whole new way which was to place the mouthpiece 2/3 on your upper
              lip.You had to keep your jaws forward.It worked but MacBeth told me to stop doubling the
              trombone.I've never seen professional trumpeters double like I did the reed men I knew
              like Skeets Herfurt,Frank Trumbauer,et al.The Maggio system did give you a fatter sound
              and a five octave range.Satchmo could have benefitted from this method.I still use it and
              I still double the saxophones and clarinet.I can tell you a few stories of my "class clown"
              days in high school which I could pay an octave below the written parts when I was a tu-
              ba player.At any rate,thanks for the info.As of late,I had open heart surgery and I had to
              quit playing but I was given the go-ahead by my cardiologist.I spend some time writing
              movie reviews for the NNDB website.

              ============ ========= ========= ========= ========= ========= ========= ====
              --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogro ups.com, "Tony Bradley" <bopit56@... > wrote:

              > Hi Dan,
              >
              > Selling your 78's without permission, that's really bad news. As
              you
              > say, heartbreaking and infuriating. I'm glad to hear you are
              recovering
              > after your op. Forgive my lack of knowledge, but what is the NNDB
              > website? I would like to read some of your reviws if they are on
              the
              > net. I also like the clarinet playing of Jimmy Noone and Barney
              Bigard,
              > I play the clarinet myself for pleasure, but obviously, I would not
              > place myself in their company. The cat thought not, and left home!
              >
              > You mention that Goodman played cornet and trumpet? Are we talking
              > Benny Goodman? I had no idea that he played these instruments.
              >
              > Take care
              >
              > Tony

            • Dan Van Landingham
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 9, 2008
                Use NNDB as your search engine and when you see NNDB on the web page,double click
                on that and it will take you to there.Once there,type in the following:Danny Kaye.When
                you type in his name,you will take you to their bio sketch on him.Scroll down until you
                see the filmography on him.Then scroll down until you see the movies he made.The movies
                I reviewed are "The Five Pennies" and "A Song is Born".Benny Goodman was in that one
                and he was also in a 1944 movie called "Sweet and Lowdown" not to be confused with the
                Sean Penn film of the same name.Type in either Benny Goodman or Lynn Bari for my re-
                view.I also reviewed the movie "King of Jazz":for that,type in Bing Crosby.I let a couple of
                mistakes in spelling.What got me into this was when my friend Al Hendrickson died last
                year.He was working for Benny Goodman at the time "A Song is Born" came out and you
                can see him playing guitar.I gave some of those movies a somewhat harsh review as they
                really distorted the facts and in the case of "The Five Pennies",Danny Kaye resorted to a
                lot of sentimental slop.I have fun doing it.I've got a few more I submitted but that haven't
                been published as of late.Most recently,I reviewed the movie "Amadeus" starromg Tom
                Hulce.Type in his name and repeat the procedure to get my review.

                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 9, 2008
                  Hi

                  This is one track that I played on one of my shows. It has a real swing
                  to it, a loose and enjoyable rhythm. It could easily have been recorded
                  ten years later.

                  Tony

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 9, 2008
                    Hi Dan,

                    I have had a look at the NNDB website, most interesting, I look
                    forwards to reading the reviews

                    many thanks

                    Tony

                    --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Dan Van Landingham
                    <danvanlandingham@...> wrote:

                    > I know of Dorsey's trumpet via his recordings of "It's Right
                    Here For You","You Can't Cheat
                    > a Cheater" and "Tiger Rag" on OKeh.I had the original Decca 78
                    of "Eccentric" that featur-
                    > ed Jimmy Dorsey on trumpet as well as an LP reissue of Tommy
                    Dorsey playing trumpet
                    > on "Back to Back" from 1939 on Victor.The only other recording of
                    Goodman playing corn-
                    > et was his 1928 Brunswick recording of "Jungle Blues";I first
                    heard that recording some th-
                    > irty years ago on an early '40s reissue on Brunswick.I could never
                    tell if it was Goodman
                    > on cornet or Jimmy McPartland.I had the latter on a circa 1973 MCA
                    LP called "A Jazz H-
                    > oliday" which featured Goodman and Jack Teagarden.I felt Tommy
                    Dorsey's tone on trum-
                    > pet shaky:it reminded me of my trumpet playing after I had playing
                    trombone or the reeds.
                    > I was fine on trumpet when I wasn't doubling.In fact,when I was in
                    college in Coos Bay,Or-
                    > egon in the early '70s as a music major,this trumpeter,Carlton
                    MacBeth,came here to do
                    > a clinic as he was promoting a trumpet method originated by one
                    Louis Maggio back in
                    > the '30s.It was a "no pressure" type of embouchure.Maggio had his
                    chops shredded and
                    > some of his teeth knocked out while he was at a train station in
                    St. Paul,Minnesota in
                    > 1919.That accident,which could have destroyed his
                    career,caused him to approach blo-
                    > wing cornet in a whole new way which was to place the mouthpiece
                    2/3 on your upper
                    > lip.You had to keep your jaws forward.It worked but MacBeth told
                    me to stop doubling the
                    > trombone.I've never seen professional trumpeters double like I did
                    the reed men I knew
                    > like Skeets Herfurt,Frank Trumbauer,et al.The Maggio system did
                    give you a fatter sound
                    > and a five octave range.Satchmo could have benefitted from this
                    method.I still use it and
                    > I still double the saxophones and clarinet.I can tell you a few
                    stories of my "class clown"
                    > days in high school which I could pay an octave below the written
                    parts when I was a tu-
                    > ba player.At any rate,thanks for the info.As of late,I had open
                    heart surgery and I had to
                    > quit playing but I was given the go-ahead by my cardiologist.I
                    spend some time writing
                    > movie reviews for the NNDB website.

                  • Dan Van Landingham
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 9, 2008
                           I didn't know he played trumpet either until 1978 when I checked out a 78 rpm set from
                      the Coos Bay(Oregon)Public Library.That was the album that also showcased Goodman's
                      baritone sax work and Glenn Miller's trombone.As I said on my previous blog,I knew of
                      Tommy and Jimmy Dorsey's respective trumpet and cornet work.Tommy Dorsey even kn-
                      ew how to play sax as he,Jimmy,their sister Mary and their father,Thomas F."Pop" Dors-
                      ey played in the latter's saxophone quartette.Pop Dorsey played baritone,Tommy played
                      tenor and Jimmy and sister Mary played alto.I had read of Tommy Dorsey's sax playing
                      after reading the liner notes on one of RCA's "Complete Tommy Dorsey" series on RCA
                      Bluebird.John Chilton,in his "Who's Who of Classic Jazz",mentioned Tommy playing the
                      clarinet.Bandleader-composer and arranger Larry Clinton did play clarinet and I knew of
                      him as a trumpeter and trombonist.I once saw one of those "soundies" on American
                      Movie Classics back in the '90s.I got my information from Peter Levinson's book on  Tom-
                      my Dorsey "Livin' in a Great Big Way".I had heard of it by way of National Public Radio
                      some years ago.Regarding my record collection:I am slowly rebuilding my collection but
                      I''ve replaced some of the LPs with CD copies.Lastly,referring back to the movie reviews I
                      did for the NNDB website,I did one for the movie "The Fabulous Dorseys" but they have
                      yet to print it.I saw that movie and "King of Jazz" back in 1988 on a now defunct cable
                      channel called "The Nostalgia Channel".I gave most of those movies a rating of no more
                      than one and a half to two stars.I am more into facts rather than the cheap sensational
                      slant movies regarding the bulk of the movies that dealt with musicans.Other movies I am
                      thinking of reviewing are "The Gene Krupa Story" and "The Glenn Miller Story.It's been on
                      Turner Classic Movies for the last couple of weeks.I've seen it before.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 10, 2008
                        Sorry to bother the list with this but I've just done some reformatting of
                        Dan Van Landignham's message to make it easier to read. I want to see if it
                        comes back as I've sent it out or if Yahoogroups does something strange to
                        it. I am sending it out as HTML rather than as plain text.

                        I've added two spaces after periods and eliminated things like

                             (that is an ampersand followed by the letters nbsp,
                        and then a colon, the whole string repeated three more times.)

                        I added the line breaks back in which preserved Dan's hyphenation. Without
                        that, the hyphenated words appeared mid-line or whenever.

                        If Dan is reading this, I'd be curious to know what he is using to compose
                        e-mail. Is it web-based, or Outlook, or some other program? Dan has such
                        nice information and I am having an incredibly hard time deciphering it.

                        Thanks,

                        Ron L

                        From: Tony Bradley <bopit56@yahoo. co. uk>

                        <snip>

                      • Robert Smith
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 10, 2008
                          Dear Ron,

                          Thanks for reformatting Dan's E-mail, it must have taken a good deal of time to do.

                          The result was perfectly legible, but not quite normal. Each line seemed to be about 84 characters in length, but a line feed occurred at or just before character No. 74. The remaining 10+ characters came on the next line followed by a new line feed and then a blank line.

                          I received this E-mail in Outlook Express.

                          If you need to see any results I can always print the E-mail, scan it, and send it to you as a Word document.

                          Kind Regards

                          Bob Smith

                          --
                          Jeg bruker gratisversjonen av SPAMfighter for privatbrukere.
                          Den har fjernet 4700 søppelpostmeldinger til nå.