New member - Tony Bradley

  • Robert Smith
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 7, 2008
      Dear Tony,

      Welcome to the group!

      Like you, Johnny Dodds is my favourite. I have all his known recordings, except for a few alternate takes. In addition to him, I have a fairly comprehensive collection of recordings made in the 1920's - e.g. King Oliver, Louis Armstrong, Jelly Roll Morton, plus a lot of small groups, jug bands, washboard bands, and blues singers.

      I like quite a lot of the earlier big bands, and have records by Fletcher Henderson, Luis Russell, Duke Ellington, etc. from the 1930's.

      Like you, I also run a weekly jazz programme on our local FM radio station here in Mo i Rana in Northern Norway.

      Kind Regards

      Bob Smith

      --
      Jeg bruker gratisversjonen av SPAMfighter for privatbrukere.
      Den har fjernet 4643 søppelpostmeldinger til nå.

    • Tony Bradley
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 7, 2008
        Hi Bob,

        Many thanks for the welcome.

        You have a lot more Johnny Dodds recordings than me! Do you have a
        website link to your station? Can I hear it on the net? I have
        played some Luis Russell on my show, a band that was swinging long
        before many of the more well known bands caught on in my opinion. I
        went to Norway back in 68, got as far north as Trondheim.

        Kind regards

        Tony

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Smith" <robert.smith@...>
        wrote:

        > Dear Tony,
        >
        > Welcome to the group!
        >
        > Like you, Johnny Dodds is my favourite. I have all his known
        recordings, except for a few alternate takes. In addition to him, I
        have a fairly comprehensive collection of recordings made in the
        1920's - e.g. King Oliver, Louis Armstrong, Jelly Roll Morton, plus
        a lot of small groups, jug bands, washboard bands, and blues singers.

        > I like quite a lot of the earlier big bands, and have records by
        Fletcher Henderson, Luis Russell, Duke Ellington, etc. from the
        1930's.

        > Like you, I also run a weekly jazz programme on our local FM radio
        station here in Mo i Rana in Northern Norway.

        > Kind Regards
        >
        > Bob Smith
        >

        > --
        > Jeg bruker gratisversjonen av SPAMfighter for privatbrukere.
        > Den har fjernet 4643 søppelpostmeldinger til nå.
        > Betalende brukere har ikke denne meldingen i e-postene sine.
        > Få tak i SPAMfighter gratis her: http://www.spamfighter.com/lno

      • Dan Van Landingham
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 7, 2008
               Welcome aboard.I've been a jazz trumpeter,historian and writer for since 1965.I have
          a number of those old records but as soon as I can figure out how to burn CDs I can d-
          ownload the bulk of what I had in the past onto CD.I had a dear friend who gave me a
          batch of his classic jazz of 78 but my sister in law in Myrtle Creek,Oregon(which is in
          southwestern Oregon)sold them without my knowledge.Needless to say,I was infuriated
          with her.I had had them for over twenty years.Sometime back,I was at what we Americans
          call a "garage sale" or "yard sale" where one rounds up his or her unwanted items and se-
          lls them to those who travel all over town to various garage sales,yard sales or estate sal-
          les looking for items that tickle their fancy as it were.Some time back,I was given a batch
          of 78s that included Ellington,Jelly Roll Morton and others.What was eerie was that there
          were a couple of albums of 78s that had some Bunny Berigan in them and what struck me
          as odd  was that the records were the same pressings as some I saw in a friend 's record
          collection back in the early '70s.His name was Vernon Sorenson and he taught French
          and German at the local community college in Coos Bay,Oregon.His son Peter and I we-
          re members of the same graduating class in 1970.We were in in band(he played the tru-
          mpet and I played BBb and Eb tubas.I also played trumpet,trombone,piano and added
          saxophone and clarinet to my musical arsenal.I've since added guitar and bass)since
          1965 when I began attending North Bend Junior High School in North Bend,Oregon.I  was
          fourteen at the time.Most recently,I had open heart surgery(on 17 October,2007) and I h-
          ave had to take things easy although my heart has healed.I spend some of my time wri-
          iting movie reviews for the NNDB biographical website.I've written reviews on "The Five
          Pennies","The Fabulous Dorseys","Amadeus","King of Jazz" and for "The Secret Fury"
          a film noir crime drama from 1950 that starred Claudette Colbert,Robert Ryan and  Dave
          Barbour whom I knew of as a session guitarist and one time member of Benny Goodman's
          band who was married to singer Peggy Lee from 1942 until 1951.Though I am not a fan
          of Johnny Dodds,I had his records with Armstrong's Hot Five and Hot Seven recording gr-
          oups.I preferred the dark sounding clarinetists like Goodman,Jimmy Noone and Barney
          Bigard with Ellington.I tried listening to Armstrong's "All Stars" recordings from 1947 until
          1964 but I just couldn't get into them.Save a couple of sides from Armstrong's big band
          from 1939,I was a bigger fan of his big bands from 1930-33.In closing,I would like to know
          more about Goodman's cornet and trumpet work while working for Ben Pollack as well as
          some rather good sides from 1934 by Wingy Mannone on OKeh which included Georg
          Brunis on trombone and Sidney Arodin.

          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 8, 2008
            Hi Dan,

            Selling your 78's without permission, that's really bad news. As you
            say, heartbreaking and infuriating. I'm glad to hear you are recovering
            after your op. Forgive my lack of knowledge, but what is the NNDB
            website? I would like to read some of your reviws if they are on the
            net. I also like the clarinet playing of Jimmy Noone and Barney Bigard,
            I play the clarinet myself for pleasure, but obviously, I would not
            place myself in their company. The cat thought not, and left home!

            You mention that Goodman played cornet and trumpet? Are we talking
            Benny Goodman? I had no idea that he played these instruments.

            Take care

            Tony
          • jimmiejazz37
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 9, 2008
              You can hear Goodman's trumpet on the Ben Pollack side, "Waitin' For
              Katy" of Dec 7, 1927.

              Tommy Dorsey also played trumpet on some recordings.

              And the great bassax player of the 1920s, Adrian Rollini, was quite
              adept on several instruments including the trombone, piano and drums.

              Jim
              --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Bradley" <bopit56@...> wrote:

              > Hi Dan,
              >
              > Selling your 78's without permission, that's really bad news. As
              you
              > say, heartbreaking and infuriating. I'm glad to hear you are
              recovering
              > after your op. Forgive my lack of knowledge, but what is the NNDB
              > website? I would like to read some of your reviws if they are on
              the
              > net. I also like the clarinet playing of Jimmy Noone and Barney
              Bigard,
              > I play the clarinet myself for pleasure, but obviously, I would not
              > place myself in their company. The cat thought not, and left home!
              >
              > You mention that Goodman played cornet and trumpet? Are we talking
              > Benny Goodman? I had no idea that he played these instruments.
              >
              > Take care
              >
              > Tony

            • Robert Smith
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 9, 2008
                Dear Tony,

                The radio station does have a web-site with a "live radio" banner, but unfortunately the net radio isn't functioning at the moment. We are hoping to get it working again in the not-too-distant future - I'll let you know if and when. The URL is:
                www.radio3rana.no

                One of my all-time favourite tunes is Luis Russell's "Jersey Lightning". It was this record that opened my "mouldie fygge" eyes to big band music, albeit mostly '20's and 30's big bands.

                1968 was the year before I moved from England to Norway.

                We did, in fact, form a big band here in Mo i Rana in the late seventies with yours truly on 1st trombone. This was more a swing band à la Glenn Miller than a jazz orchestra. I have just one recording of the band.

                Kind Regards

                Bob

                --
                Jeg bruker gratisversjonen av SPAMfighter for privatbrukere.
                Den har fjernet 4683 søppelpostmeldinger til nå.

                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 9, 2008
                  I know of Dorsey's trumpet via his recordings of "It's Right Here For You","You Can't Cheat
                  a Cheater" and "Tiger Rag" on OKeh.I had the original Decca 78 of "Eccentric" that featur-
                  ed Jimmy Dorsey on trumpet as well as an LP reissue of Tommy Dorsey playing trumpet
                  on "Back to Back" from 1939 on Victor.The only other recording of Goodman playing corn-
                  et was his 1928 Brunswick recording of "Jungle Blues";I first heard that recording some th-
                  irty years ago on an early '40s reissue on Brunswick.I could never tell if it was Goodman
                  on cornet or Jimmy McPartland.I had the latter on a circa 1973 MCA LP called "A Jazz H-
                  oliday" which featured Goodman and Jack Teagarden.I felt Tommy Dorsey's tone on trum-
                  pet shaky:it reminded me of my trumpet playing after I had playing trombone or the reeds.
                  I was fine on trumpet when I wasn't doubling.In fact,when I was in college in Coos Bay,Or-
                  egon in the early '70s as a music major,this trumpeter,Carlton MacBeth,came here to do
                  a clinic as he was promoting a trumpet method originated by one Louis Maggio back in
                  the '30s.It was a "no pressure" type of embouchure.Maggio had his chops shredded and
                  some of his teeth knocked out while he was at a train station in St. Paul,Minnesota in
                  1919.That accident,which could have destroyed his  career,caused him to approach blo-
                  wing cornet in a whole new way which was to place the mouthpiece 2/3 on your upper
                  lip.You had to keep your jaws forward.It worked but MacBeth told me to stop doubling the
                  trombone.I've never seen professional trumpeters double like I did the reed men I knew
                  like Skeets Herfurt,Frank Trumbauer,et al.The Maggio system did give you a fatter sound
                  and a five octave range.Satchmo could have benefitted from this method.I still use it and
                  I still double the saxophones and clarinet.I can tell you a few stories of my "class clown"
                  days in high school which I could pay an octave below the written parts when I was a tu-
                  ba player.At any rate,thanks for the info.As of late,I had open heart surgery and I had to
                  quit playing but I was given the go-ahead by my cardiologist.I spend some time writing
                  movie reviews for the NNDB website.

                  ============ ========= ========= ========= ========= ========= ========= ====
                  --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogro ups.com, "Tony Bradley" <bopit56@... > wrote:

                  > Hi Dan,
                  >
                  > Selling your 78's without permission, that's really bad news. As
                  you
                  > say, heartbreaking and infuriating. I'm glad to hear you are
                  recovering
                  > after your op. Forgive my lack of knowledge, but what is the NNDB
                  > website? I would like to read some of your reviws if they are on
                  the
                  > net. I also like the clarinet playing of Jimmy Noone and Barney
                  Bigard,
                  > I play the clarinet myself for pleasure, but obviously, I would not
                  > place myself in their company. The cat thought not, and left home!
                  >
                  > You mention that Goodman played cornet and trumpet? Are we talking
                  > Benny Goodman? I had no idea that he played these instruments.
                  >
                  > Take care
                  >
                  > Tony

                • Dan Van Landingham
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 9, 2008
                    Use NNDB as your search engine and when you see NNDB on the web page,double click
                    on that and it will take you to there.Once there,type in the following:Danny Kaye.When
                    you type in his name,you will take you to their bio sketch on him.Scroll down until you
                    see the filmography on him.Then scroll down until you see the movies he made.The movies
                    I reviewed are "The Five Pennies" and "A Song is Born".Benny Goodman was in that one
                    and he was also in a 1944 movie called "Sweet and Lowdown" not to be confused with the
                    Sean Penn film of the same name.Type in either Benny Goodman or Lynn Bari for my re-
                    view.I also reviewed the movie "King of Jazz":for that,type in Bing Crosby.I let a couple of
                    mistakes in spelling.What got me into this was when my friend Al Hendrickson died last
                    year.He was working for Benny Goodman at the time "A Song is Born" came out and you
                    can see him playing guitar.I gave some of those movies a somewhat harsh review as they
                    really distorted the facts and in the case of "The Five Pennies",Danny Kaye resorted to a
                    lot of sentimental slop.I have fun doing it.I've got a few more I submitted but that haven't
                    been published as of late.Most recently,I reviewed the movie "Amadeus" starromg Tom
                    Hulce.Type in his name and repeat the procedure to get my review.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 9, 2008
                      Hi

                      This is one track that I played on one of my shows. It has a real swing
                      to it, a loose and enjoyable rhythm. It could easily have been recorded
                      ten years later.

                      Tony

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 9, 2008
                        Hi Dan,

                        I have had a look at the NNDB website, most interesting, I look
                        forwards to reading the reviews

                        many thanks

                        Tony

                        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Dan Van Landingham
                        <danvanlandingham@...> wrote:

                        > I know of Dorsey's trumpet via his recordings of "It's Right
                        Here For You","You Can't Cheat
                        > a Cheater" and "Tiger Rag" on OKeh.I had the original Decca 78
                        of "Eccentric" that featur-
                        > ed Jimmy Dorsey on trumpet as well as an LP reissue of Tommy
                        Dorsey playing trumpet
                        > on "Back to Back" from 1939 on Victor.The only other recording of
                        Goodman playing corn-
                        > et was his 1928 Brunswick recording of "Jungle Blues";I first
                        heard that recording some th-
                        > irty years ago on an early '40s reissue on Brunswick.I could never
                        tell if it was Goodman
                        > on cornet or Jimmy McPartland.I had the latter on a circa 1973 MCA
                        LP called "A Jazz H-
                        > oliday" which featured Goodman and Jack Teagarden.I felt Tommy
                        Dorsey's tone on trum-
                        > pet shaky:it reminded me of my trumpet playing after I had playing
                        trombone or the reeds.
                        > I was fine on trumpet when I wasn't doubling.In fact,when I was in
                        college in Coos Bay,Or-
                        > egon in the early '70s as a music major,this trumpeter,Carlton
                        MacBeth,came here to do
                        > a clinic as he was promoting a trumpet method originated by one
                        Louis Maggio back in
                        > the '30s.It was a "no pressure" type of embouchure.Maggio had his
                        chops shredded and
                        > some of his teeth knocked out while he was at a train station in
                        St. Paul,Minnesota in
                        > 1919.That accident,which could have destroyed his
                        career,caused him to approach blo-
                        > wing cornet in a whole new way which was to place the mouthpiece
                        2/3 on your upper
                        > lip.You had to keep your jaws forward.It worked but MacBeth told
                        me to stop doubling the
                        > trombone.I've never seen professional trumpeters double like I did
                        the reed men I knew
                        > like Skeets Herfurt,Frank Trumbauer,et al.The Maggio system did
                        give you a fatter sound
                        > and a five octave range.Satchmo could have benefitted from this
                        method.I still use it and
                        > I still double the saxophones and clarinet.I can tell you a few
                        stories of my "class clown"
                        > days in high school which I could pay an octave below the written
                        parts when I was a tu-
                        > ba player.At any rate,thanks for the info.As of late,I had open
                        heart surgery and I had to
                        > quit playing but I was given the go-ahead by my cardiologist.I
                        spend some time writing
                        > movie reviews for the NNDB website.

                      • Dan Van Landingham
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 9, 2008
                               I didn't know he played trumpet either until 1978 when I checked out a 78 rpm set from
                          the Coos Bay(Oregon)Public Library.That was the album that also showcased Goodman's
                          baritone sax work and Glenn Miller's trombone.As I said on my previous blog,I knew of
                          Tommy and Jimmy Dorsey's respective trumpet and cornet work.Tommy Dorsey even kn-
                          ew how to play sax as he,Jimmy,their sister Mary and their father,Thomas F."Pop" Dors-
                          ey played in the latter's saxophone quartette.Pop Dorsey played baritone,Tommy played
                          tenor and Jimmy and sister Mary played alto.I had read of Tommy Dorsey's sax playing
                          after reading the liner notes on one of RCA's "Complete Tommy Dorsey" series on RCA
                          Bluebird.John Chilton,in his "Who's Who of Classic Jazz",mentioned Tommy playing the
                          clarinet.Bandleader-composer and arranger Larry Clinton did play clarinet and I knew of
                          him as a trumpeter and trombonist.I once saw one of those "soundies" on American
                          Movie Classics back in the '90s.I got my information from Peter Levinson's book on  Tom-
                          my Dorsey "Livin' in a Great Big Way".I had heard of it by way of National Public Radio
                          some years ago.Regarding my record collection:I am slowly rebuilding my collection but
                          I''ve replaced some of the LPs with CD copies.Lastly,referring back to the movie reviews I
                          did for the NNDB website,I did one for the movie "The Fabulous Dorseys" but they have
                          yet to print it.I saw that movie and "King of Jazz" back in 1988 on a now defunct cable
                          channel called "The Nostalgia Channel".I gave most of those movies a rating of no more
                          than one and a half to two stars.I am more into facts rather than the cheap sensational
                          slant movies regarding the bulk of the movies that dealt with musicans.Other movies I am
                          thinking of reviewing are "The Gene Krupa Story" and "The Glenn Miller Story.It's been on
                          Turner Classic Movies for the last couple of weeks.I've seen it before.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 10, 2008
                            Sorry to bother the list with this but I've just done some reformatting of
                            Dan Van Landignham's message to make it easier to read. I want to see if it
                            comes back as I've sent it out or if Yahoogroups does something strange to
                            it. I am sending it out as HTML rather than as plain text.

                            I've added two spaces after periods and eliminated things like

                                 (that is an ampersand followed by the letters nbsp,
                            and then a colon, the whole string repeated three more times.)

                            I added the line breaks back in which preserved Dan's hyphenation. Without
                            that, the hyphenated words appeared mid-line or whenever.

                            If Dan is reading this, I'd be curious to know what he is using to compose
                            e-mail. Is it web-based, or Outlook, or some other program? Dan has such
                            nice information and I am having an incredibly hard time deciphering it.

                            Thanks,

                            Ron L

                            From: Tony Bradley <bopit56@yahoo. co. uk>

                            <snip>

                          • Robert Smith
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 10, 2008
                              Dear Ron,

                              Thanks for reformatting Dan's E-mail, it must have taken a good deal of time to do.

                              The result was perfectly legible, but not quite normal. Each line seemed to be about 84 characters in length, but a line feed occurred at or just before character No. 74. The remaining 10+ characters came on the next line followed by a new line feed and then a blank line.

                              I received this E-mail in Outlook Express.

                              If you need to see any results I can always print the E-mail, scan it, and send it to you as a Word document.

                              Kind Regards

                              Bob Smith

                              --
                              Jeg bruker gratisversjonen av SPAMfighter for privatbrukere.
                              Den har fjernet 4700 søppelpostmeldinger til nå.