Re: Jelly Roll Morton lecture

  • Robert Greenwood
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 6 5:33 AM
      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Marco Romano" <m15romano@...> wrote:

      > Hello Mr. Greenwood.
      >
      > Thank you very much for taking time out to give all of us on this
      > group your erudite version of the lecture.
      >
      > In my opinion Marybeth Hamilton could not be a very good historian if
      > she discounts Mamie Desdunes as being a real person. There is a whole
      > lot of information by Mr. Peter Hanley about her and her family at,
      >
      > http://www.doctorjazz.co.uk/portnewor.html

      Dr Hamilton gave no indication whatever that she had looked into Mike
      Meddings' excellent web site or had taken into account the invaluable
      research work found there, but as someone hidden away in a university
      department, she is never likely to be called to account by any of her
      colleagues. I do not dismiss academia, by the way. I am a graduate
      myself and have a daughter at university. I just think that academic
      standards should be higher and that research should be thorough. Mamie
      Desdunes last night was written off as a three-fingered prostitute
      Jelly had known in his youth. Hamilton's tone implied that maybe
      Desdunes never existed.
      Robert