Re: Jelly Roll Morton lecture

  • Marco Romano
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 6, 2008
      Hello Mr. Greenwood.

      Thank you very much for taking time out to give all of us on this
      group your erudite version of the lecture.

      In my opinion Marybeth Hamilton could not be a very good historian if
      she discounts Mamie Desdunes as being a real person. There is a whole
      lot of information by Mr. Peter Hanley about her and her family at,

      http://www.doctorjazz.co.uk/portnewor.html

      I am going to make an attempt to listen to the BBC radio program on
      Sunday. Thank you.

      Marco Romano.

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Greenwood"
      <robertgreenwood_54uk@...> wrote:

      > There's not a lot to report, Marco. I suspect that what I heard
      last
      > night was a preview of what we will hear tomorrow evening on Radio
      4.
      > Marybeth Hamilton is an historian and doesn't even seem
      particularly
      > interested in, or to have any great love for, the music. She
      > certainly did not discuss Morton's music and concentrated instead
      on
      > the stories of gamblers, hoodlums, and sharp dressers, and played
      > substantial extracts from the Lomax interviews. I suspect that, as
      an
      > academic, she has found in the Morton Library of Congress
      recordings
      > a Subject with a capital S. Perhaps I am cynical, but this all
      helps
      > to retain her academic tenure and, after all, her audience is
      > probably a bunch of students and other academics with no interest
      > whatsoever in the likes of Jelly Roll Morton. Her interest in
      Morton
      > seems not to extend beyond the LoC sessions which she seems to
      treat
      > as a sociological phenomenon. Alarm bells rang for me when, at the
      > end of her lecture, no questions from the floor were invited. On
      the
      > whole, she was very patronising about the interest shown in New
      > Orleans music and viewed it as mere romanticism. We heard the usual
      > stuff about how the Red Hot Peppers sides were highly prized by
      white
      > collectors but were a matter of indifference to African-Americans.
      > Oh, and she implied that Mamie Desdumes was maybe a figment of
      > Jelly's colourful imagination.
      > My verdict is that, with so much real expert knowledge around, a
      much
      > better, more informed, and more sympathetic lecture could have been
      > given, but not by Dr Hamilton.
      >
      > Robert Greenwood

    • Robert Greenwood
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 6, 2008
        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Marco Romano" <m15romano@...> wrote:

        > Hello Mr. Greenwood.
        >
        > Thank you very much for taking time out to give all of us on this
        > group your erudite version of the lecture.
        >
        > In my opinion Marybeth Hamilton could not be a very good historian if
        > she discounts Mamie Desdunes as being a real person. There is a whole
        > lot of information by Mr. Peter Hanley about her and her family at,
        >
        > http://www.doctorjazz.co.uk/portnewor.html

        Dr Hamilton gave no indication whatever that she had looked into Mike
        Meddings' excellent web site or had taken into account the invaluable
        research work found there, but as someone hidden away in a university
        department, she is never likely to be called to account by any of her
        colleagues. I do not dismiss academia, by the way. I am a graduate
        myself and have a daughter at university. I just think that academic
        standards should be higher and that research should be thorough. Mamie
        Desdunes last night was written off as a three-fingered prostitute
        Jelly had known in his youth. Hamilton's tone implied that maybe
        Desdunes never existed.
        Robert