Re: Jelly Roll Morton lecture

  • Robert Greenwood
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 6, 2008
      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Standish" <mojohand@...> wrote:

      > Robert - I hope the seats were comfortable, and was there sherry?

      > Sometimes our burden is so hard to bear....
      > Tony Standish

      Hahaha. No, Tony, the seats were quite uncomfortable and there was no
      sherry and no canapés. She did say that many of the LoC recordings were
      unplayable on the BBC but we were not treated to any of the unplayables
      last night, either. I look forward to her lecture on Speckled Red's The
      Dirtier Dozens and The Dirtiest Dozens…
      Robert
    • Marco Romano
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 6, 2008
        Hello Mr. Greenwood.

        Thank you very much for taking time out to give all of us on this
        group your erudite version of the lecture.

        In my opinion Marybeth Hamilton could not be a very good historian if
        she discounts Mamie Desdunes as being a real person. There is a whole
        lot of information by Mr. Peter Hanley about her and her family at,

        http://www.doctorjazz.co.uk/portnewor.html

        I am going to make an attempt to listen to the BBC radio program on
        Sunday. Thank you.

        Marco Romano.

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Greenwood"
        <robertgreenwood_54uk@...> wrote:

        > There's not a lot to report, Marco. I suspect that what I heard
        last
        > night was a preview of what we will hear tomorrow evening on Radio
        4.
        > Marybeth Hamilton is an historian and doesn't even seem
        particularly
        > interested in, or to have any great love for, the music. She
        > certainly did not discuss Morton's music and concentrated instead
        on
        > the stories of gamblers, hoodlums, and sharp dressers, and played
        > substantial extracts from the Lomax interviews. I suspect that, as
        an
        > academic, she has found in the Morton Library of Congress
        recordings
        > a Subject with a capital S. Perhaps I am cynical, but this all
        helps
        > to retain her academic tenure and, after all, her audience is
        > probably a bunch of students and other academics with no interest
        > whatsoever in the likes of Jelly Roll Morton. Her interest in
        Morton
        > seems not to extend beyond the LoC sessions which she seems to
        treat
        > as a sociological phenomenon. Alarm bells rang for me when, at the
        > end of her lecture, no questions from the floor were invited. On
        the
        > whole, she was very patronising about the interest shown in New
        > Orleans music and viewed it as mere romanticism. We heard the usual
        > stuff about how the Red Hot Peppers sides were highly prized by
        white
        > collectors but were a matter of indifference to African-Americans.
        > Oh, and she implied that Mamie Desdumes was maybe a figment of
        > Jelly's colourful imagination.
        > My verdict is that, with so much real expert knowledge around, a
        much
        > better, more informed, and more sympathetic lecture could have been
        > given, but not by Dr Hamilton.
        >
        > Robert Greenwood

      • Robert Greenwood
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 6, 2008
          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Marco Romano" <m15romano@...> wrote:

          > Hello Mr. Greenwood.
          >
          > Thank you very much for taking time out to give all of us on this
          > group your erudite version of the lecture.
          >
          > In my opinion Marybeth Hamilton could not be a very good historian if
          > she discounts Mamie Desdunes as being a real person. There is a whole
          > lot of information by Mr. Peter Hanley about her and her family at,
          >
          > http://www.doctorjazz.co.uk/portnewor.html

          Dr Hamilton gave no indication whatever that she had looked into Mike
          Meddings' excellent web site or had taken into account the invaluable
          research work found there, but as someone hidden away in a university
          department, she is never likely to be called to account by any of her
          colleagues. I do not dismiss academia, by the way. I am a graduate
          myself and have a daughter at university. I just think that academic
          standards should be higher and that research should be thorough. Mamie
          Desdunes last night was written off as a three-fingered prostitute
          Jelly had known in his youth. Hamilton's tone implied that maybe
          Desdunes never existed.
          Robert