Re: Ma Rainey with Louis Armstrong

  • John O
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2008
      Also, in Sandra Lieb's 'Mother of the Blues':

      "...drummer Zutty Singleton recalled: around 1914, while appearing at
      a tent show at Louisiana Avenue and Howard in New Orleans, she
      [Rainey] sang a well-known blues which included the line, 'If you
      don't b'lieve I'm sinkin', look what a hole I'm in.'

      "Clarinetist Willie Humphries... also recalls her singing this tune."