Ivie Anderson

  • Bob Eagle
    Message 1 of 6 , May 31, 2008
      Or, to paraphrase the bard, "any other family name would smell as sweet".

      For a famous singer, Ivie Anderson's biography is sadly dilapidated.

      I've found only 4 official records in which she is mentioned, and there are a number of discrepancies. Perhaps someone has her application for SSN?

      The earliest known official record dates from as late as 1928, when she returned to California from Australia after the infamous and prematurely terminated Sonny Clay tour, when the dark powers of white racism overcame what should have been a wonderful artistic tour. The Australian authorities became disturbed by mention of unruly parties involving the soubrettes of the dancing troupe, and the possibility that these undisciplined black hussies might lead the (formerly) clean-living Ozzie boys astray.

      Ivie is shown as "Johnson (Anderson), Ivie", and as being married, so presumably Johnson is a married name. She was living at Berkeley. The 1928 record shows her birth place as Gilroy (Santa Clara County), California, which agrees with most sources these days.

      Incidentally, the records I've seen support 10 July 1904 as the birth date, rather than 1905, as I think is favored by Neil Slaven.

      The next record is the 1930 census, in which she appears as Ivie Anderson, but her birthplace (and that of her parents) is shown as Oklahoma. She was with her (apparently maternal) grandmother, Frances Jones, et al. Ivie's occupation was given as “Club Entertainer, Sings & Dances”.

      The third record is the passenger list of the Ellington band's return in 1939 from Europe. She is listed as Ivie Anderson with the 1904 birth date, but her birthplace is shown as Gibson, California. Gibson is in Shasta County.

      Finally, her California death certificate (1949) shows her as Ivie Anderson Collins. It gives her father's family name as Smith and her mother's as Jones [the latter according with her (maternal) grandmother's name in the 1930 census].

      Despite this plethora of (some very common) family names, no other known official records seem to relate to her.

      There seem to be *no* black entries for Ivie (or Ivy) of whatever family name in California in 1910 (whether in Santa Clara County or Shasta County or otherwise), so Gilroy or Gibson, or whatever, seems to be an accident of birth.

      But Oklahoma offers no obvious better prospects. We need inspiration to be able to delve further.

      And, anyway, how should we understand the causes of the discrepancies? Does Gilroy migrate to Gibson only by handwriting reading error? Did Frances Jones think that, because she came from Oklahoma, therefore ultimately everyone else in this family also did? Or was the informant, whoever it was, pulling the census taker's leg?

      Under the hit-and-miss method of US census-taking, many people were missed at each census date, but (especially with females) it can also be that people don't appear because of some change of family name. And then there are age or origin discrepancies, etc.

      Finally, a google throws up the notion that Ivie sang with Anson Weeks' band at the Mark Hopkins Hotel, apparently an upmarket place in San Francisco, sometime in the late 1920s. Would this be the first time a black singer was featured with a white band in live performance in the US?

      Thanks
      Bob

      Message 2 of 6 , May 31, 2008
        She appears on the Ellington 1933 passenger lists previously cited as Ivie
        Marie Johnson, known as Ivie Anderson, age 28 (inward), Ivie A . Johnson, b.
        Gilroy, CA, 10 July 1904 (outward).

        For reasons unknown to me, The New Grove has also plumped for 1905 as her
        birth year.

        IJS have a hand-written obituary written on 29 December 1949 which gives her
        actual date of death as 27 rather than 28 December. (time-zone problems
        probably).

        Just to confirm, there is no additional information on the British outward
        1939 passenger list [National Archives reference BT27/1547]. As the band
        sailed to France the inward passenger list is not available until some
        French researcher gets off their backside and goes to see whether they are
        still in the archives of the Marine Nationale at Le Havre and Cherbourg,
        where they should be (but were very likely destroyed in 1944). Perhaps
        someone whose French is fluent enough could just phone and ask!

        Message 3 of 6 , May 31, 2008
          This from a piece by Paul Edouard Miller in Down Beat, 15 July 1942:

          Born, Gilroy, CA, studied voice at St. Mary¹s Convent from ages 9 to 13,
          then to Washington D.C. To study for 2 years under Sara Ritt. Began career
          at Tait¹s, Los Angeles in 1923.
          This interview-based piece is the source of the Anson Weeks reference.

          on 31/05/2008 13:19, Howard Rye at howard@... wrote:

> [...]
          >> > census taker's leg?
          >> >
          >> > Under the hit-and-miss method of US census-taking, many people were missed
          >> at
          >> > each census date, but (especially with females) it can also be that people
          >> > don't appear because of some change of family name. And then there are age
          >> or
          >> > origin discrepancies, etc.
          >> >
          >> > Finally, a google throws up the notion that Ivie sang with Anson Weeks'
          >> band
          >> > at the Mark Hopkins Hotel, apparently an upmarket place in San Francisco,
          >> > sometime in the late 1920s. Would this be the first time a black singer >>
          was
          >> > featured with a white band in live performance in the US?
          >> >
          >> > Thanks
          >> > Bob

          >> > Howard Rye, 20 Coppermill Lane, London, England, E17 7HB

        • James O'Briant
          Message 4 of 6 , May 31, 2008
            Bob Eagle wrote:

            > Ivie is shown as "Johnson (Anderson), Ivie", and as being
            > married, so presumably Johnson is a married name. She was
            > living at Berkeley. The 1928 record shows her birth place as
            > Gilroy (Santa Clara County), California, which agrees with
            > most sources these days.

            Those in Gilroy who know of her claim her as a Gilroy native.

            Dave Porcella, who runs Porcella's music store, has several photos of Ivie
            Anderson in the store. Dave's father had a popular local band for decades,
            and Ivie Anderson sang with them on many occasions.

            > The third record is the passenger list of the Ellington
            > band's return in 1939 from Europe. She is listed as Ivie
            > Anderson with the 1904 birth date, but her birthplace is
            > shown as Gibson, California. Gibson is in Shasta County.

            Almost certainly an error. She was from Gilroy.

            > And, anyway, how should we understand the causes of the
            > discrepancies? Does Gilroy migrate to Gibson only by
            > handwriting reading error?

            Probably by some clerk writing it down wrong.

            > Did Frances Jones think that,
            > because she came from Oklahoma, therefore ultimately everyone
            > else in this family also did?

            Errors on death certificates and in census records are common. The
            information provided is often being provided by a relative who doesn't know
            the facts. I had a great aunt whose death certificate lists here birthplace
            in the wrong state, and it was her son (my cousin) who provided the
            information. He just had his facts wrong. This is a common error that
            genealogists have to watch out for, constantly.

            > Or was the informant, whoever
            > it was, pulling the census taker's leg?

            Probably just misinformed.

            > Finally, a google throws up the notion that Ivie sang with
            > Anson Weeks' band at the Mark Hopkins Hotel, apparently an
            > upmarket place in San Francisco,

            The Mark Hopkins was and still is a very hoity-toity place.

            Jim O'Briant
            Gilroy, CA
            Tuba & Leader, The Zinfandel Stompers
          • Hec Hancock
            Message 5 of 6 , May 31, 2008
              The original instructions have been lost and I have no way of contacting my grouup. Even so I could't resist ing jumping in regards to Ivie Anderson. I saw her perform with the Duke at Sweet's Ballroom in Oakland in 1940 and was greatly immpressed. How could you not be with Duke's collection of stars - Johnny Hodges, Jimmy Blanton, Sonny Greer, Juan Tizol, Rex Stewart, Cootie Williams, Sam Nanton, Barney Bigardet al.

              Ivie left the band in 1942 largely because of her chronic asthma to open a resturant in LA, the Chicken Shack.. The asthma led to her premature death at 44.

              Earlier in her career she had been a singer with Anson Weeks at the Mark Hopkins Hotel in San Francisco. Dancin' with Anson. Weeks. thanks to radio exposusre on KFRC, was an instittuion on the West Coast. A good hotel band - but not jazz. Weeks was in an auto accident in 1941 and out of the music business untl the a six year stint ast the SF's Palace Hotel in the 60s.

              The Mark Hopkins, named for the president of the Central Pacific Railway and one of "Big Fouur" Hopkins, Huntingston, Stanford and McKay - is very upscale. During the Bib Band era used to bring in bands into the famed Peacock Court. such as Benny Goodmen and Bob Crosby and the Bobcats.

              Hec
              uop1943@yahoo,con

              You are correc about her birthplace - Gilroy not Gibson.