Re: [RedHotJazz] Joe "Tricky Sam" Nanton and other Ellingtonia

  • Bob Eagle
    Message 1 of 3 , May 31 2:58 AM
      Thanks, Howard. I had thought about Bill Bailey, the dancer, but as the only dates I knew he was associated with Ellington were in 1940, I thought it was too remote. However, the Duke clearly retained his musical associations for long periods, as witness Barney Bigard's involvement, etc.

      Cheers
      Bob

      Howard Rye <howard@...> wrote:
      On the incoming British passenger list (S.S. Olympic, arr. Southampton on 9
      June 1933, National Archives reference BT26/1027), which I guess you haven¹t
      seen, Bob, Nanton is entered as ³Joseph N. Irish (known as Joseph Nanton)².
      Discrepancies between incoming and outgoing passenger lists are commonplace
      but when they agree on apparently incorrect information there has to be a
      reason. Obviously you are right the family name is in fact Nanton. My best
      guess is that his ticket was in that name because someone made a mistake
      when providing the shipping company with his details, but we¹ll never know.

      William Eugene Bailey was described as a musician on the incoming passenger
      list. I did my research on the 1933 Ellington visit a very long time ago,
      published in Storyville 88 in 1980, but from memory he was a dancer known
      professionally as Bill Bailey. This is confirmed by Klaus Stratemann¹s Duke
      Ellington Day By Day and Film By Film at p. 65 and there is a photo on p.66
      on which (most of) Bill can be seen. There is more information about Bailey
      in the Stearns¹s Jazz Dance. In 1965 he was in ³temporary retirement².

      Braud appears as Brand on more passenger lists than this and in this case I
      suspect his own handwriting to be the culprit!

      As regards the re-writing of passenger lists my only observation is that the
      passenger lists of French vessels arriving and departing from both British
      and American ports were evidently on internal evidence typed by the French
      pursers. My personal theory ­ someone must know this ­ is that they were
      generally typed onboard ship from the tickets. It is clear that they were
      generally not done from passports, which is surprising.