Re: [RedHotJazz] Bunk

    Message 1 of 6 , May 28, 2008
      Mike Hazeldine considers the evidence in detail in his New Grove entry on
      Bunk. The official evidence, census ages, date of parents¹ marriage, points
      to 1889. On the other hand dozens of musicians who had known him as a young
      man had no problem with confirming the 1879 date.

      Maybe more has been discovered by now but I suspect we will never know for
      sure. There is unlikely to be a birth certificate but as in Kid Ory¹s case
      there may be a christening record somewhere, which is the only thing that
      would definitively settle it other than an unambiguous reference to him
      before 1889 and as he would then, even if born in 1879, have been under 10
      this is unlikely. Willie Johnson is unfortunately a pretty common name.

      To my mind it is suspicious that exactly 10 years separates the two proposed
      dates. It is common in show business to shave years off your age and 10
      years is often adopted, probably because you then only have to alter one
      figure on inconvenient documents. It is easier to represent as a typo too.
      (It¹s also the maximum that is likely to be credible even to the credulous.)
      Bunk was an opposite case. It was commercially useful to him to be older.