Re: New book about Jelly Roll Morton

  • Tommer
    Message 1 of 6 , May 24, 2008
      It might be the best book, right now it is just amazing collection of
      information on Morton and related material. It is like a house that
      many scholars live anyone contributing something. But a book is a
      different task because the material need in most books to be chewed
      and edited for reading (unless its just dry information like
      sessiongraphy style of books). There were in the past scholars who
      had a lot of material but compiled average books. Sure, the
      doctorjazz site has potential to create the best Morton book.

      tommer

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "john schott" <john@...> wrote:

      > You can read the table of contents, first chapter, index and
      back cover on the Amazon UK site. Doesn't look like there's anything
      particularly new or original from this sampling, although it seems
      thorough and decently written. And - why is there a photo of King
      Oliver's band on the back cover?!?

      > This doesn't appear to be one of the many Morton books I
      personally dream of: in-depth analysis of the music and records;
      race, racism and Jelly Roll; Morton and Vaudeville; unpublished music
      of Morton, etc. Too bad.