Re: [RedHotJazz] Lionel Reason - was Let me introduce myself

  • Bob Eagle
    Message 1 of 11 , May 10, 2008
      Don't know whether the Hangover (that Hangover, anyway . . .) still exists, but Lionel Reason has been based at Baton Rouge in recent years. Has anyone ever interviewed him?

      Bob

      Tony Standish <mojohand@...> wrote:
      Hec's words conjured up a memory or two - I spent many rewarding nights at
      the Club Hangover, in 1955 and 1957. I was always made very welcome by the
      owner, Doc Dougherty, when I came by night after night to listen to the Ory
      band or, later, the Hines group with Henry Goodwin, Jimmy Archey, Darnel
      Howard and Pops Foster..Lionel Reason and Tiny Crump played intermission
      piano. Such nights they were! On my final visit, before leaving for New
      Orleans, Doc shouted me a large shot of Southern Comfort, which sent me
      happily on my way.
      Does the Hangover still exist, I wonder?
      Tony Standish
      Message 2 of 11 , May 13, 2008
        Tony. As I read, you got to N.O. in 1957 then ?

        Many moons and I expect you published but a drop before my time.

        Any chance of a glimpse at the treasure you heard ? Most memorable ?

        Thanks

        Message 3 of 11 , May 13, 2008
          'Old Gods almost dead, malign,
          Starving for unpaid dues'

          -- to quote Tony and Graves. Just found a wonderful Standish evocation of
          old N.O. in 'Just Jazz -3' Four Square. 1959.

          Too much to expect expansion at this date but was there ever more published
          contemporarily ?

        • Tony Standish
          Message 4 of 11 , May 14, 2008
            Stacks of photos and jottings have accumulated, apart from the Jazz Journal
            stuff (1959-1963). Am busily collating and printing and wondering what to do
            with it all.
            It's over fifty years ago! How time flies...
            Tony S.

            Message 5 of 11 , May 14, 2008
              Tony

              Great if you could publish. The examples that I have from that period are
              fired, provocative and perceptive.

            • Tony Standish
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 17, 2008
                Thanks, Dave Richoux, for the lowdown on Club Hangover, which has obviously
                changed a bit.
                Oh well, the Two Deuces, Fump and Mannie's, Luthjen's and Burp Hollow have
                gone, too.
                I once checked out "between 18th and 19th down on Chestnut Street". Just
                warehouses, now - or in the mid-90s, anyway.
                Such is life
                Tony Standish