Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Nat King Cole and Lester Young

  • Dan Van Landingham
    Message 1 of 8 , May 10, 2008
      I had a 1946 RCA 78 set of the "Esquire All American Award Winners."Jivin' with Jarvis" was
      one of the 78s in that set.The set also had Ellington's "Rock-a-Bye River" as well as a blues
      that was called "Buckin' the Blues" that featured the trumpet of Buck Clayton and John Col-
      lins on guitar.There was a time when Hampton toyed with the idea of having a big band bui-
      lt the King Cole Trio.I would have to go through my LP collection,but it seems that I have "J-
      ivin' with Jarvis on an RCA Camden LP.I remember hearing a couple of other sides from that
      Esquire album,one was "Blue Me Down",written by Billy Moore,Jr. and based on the chords
      of "I Got Rhythm"(I just hated it;"Rock-a-Bye River" was on the reverse)and "Mouldy Fig S-
      tomp" which was supposed a parody based on the chords of "Basin Street Blues".Chubby
      had some "humourus" vocalisms and featured Harry Carney and Coleman Hawkins who
      had a solo spot on one side of "Indian Summer".He was in fine form.In the early seventies,
      those aforementioned sides were reissued on RCA's reactivated "Vintage Series".

      spacelights <spacelights@...> wrote:
      Nat Cole's Trio also made excellent jazz sides with Lionel Hampton in
      1940, especially Victor 26724 ("Jivin' With Jarvis" / "Blue") as The
      Hampton Rhythm Boys...