Re: [RedHotJazz] Let me introduce myself

    Message 1 of 11 , May 10, 2008
      From: "Hec Hancock" <uop1943@...>
      To: <RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Saturday, May 10, 2008 6:56 PM
      Subject: Re: [RedHotJazz] Let me introduce myself

      > I am new to this and not sure of what the proctocol is

      Don't worry about the protocol, it's my chore ;-)

      It is just that new members should be "moderated" for a short period of
      time, and I am supposed to "release" them after their first or second
      relevant post... but I'm quite behind with that task and I would need a
      whole afternoon to catch up. Which does not really matter, either Michael
      (who beat me last week welcoming the 600th and 601st members!!! ;-) or
      myself are always there to see that things keep working fine.

      In other words : welcome to the RHJ group (which is not the same thing as
      Scott's RHJ website)

      Patrice - not too talkative, but still there
    • Tony Standish
      Message 2 of 11 , May 10, 2008
        Hec's words conjured up a memory or two - I spent many rewarding nights at
        the Club Hangover, in 1955 and 1957. I was always made very welcome by the
        owner, Doc Dougherty, when I came by night after night to listen to the Ory
        band or, later, the Hines group with Henry Goodwin, Jimmy Archey, Darnel
        Howard and Pops Foster..Lionel Reason and Tiny Crump played intermission
        piano. Such nights they were! On my final visit, before leaving for New
        Orleans, Doc shouted me a large shot of Southern Comfort, which sent me
        happily on my way.
        Does the Hangover still exist, I wonder?
        Tony Standish
        Message 3 of 11 , May 10, 2008
          It is now the Nob Hill Adult Theater.
          http://www.yelp.com/biz/nob-hill-adult-theatre-san-francisco

          Sorry,

          Dave Richoux

          On May 10, 2008, at 10:17 PM, Tony Standish wrote:

          > Hec's words conjured up a memory or two - I spent many rewarding
          > nights at
          > the Club Hangover, in 1955 and 1957. I was always made very welcome
          > by the
          > owner, Doc Dougherty, when I came by night after night to listen to
          > the Ory
          > band or, later, the Hines group with Henry Goodwin, Jimmy Archey,
          > Darnel
          > Howard and Pops Foster..Lionel Reason and Tiny Crump played
          > intermission
          > piano. Such nights they were! On my final visit, before leaving for
          > New
          > Orleans, Doc shouted me a large shot of Southern Comfort, which
          > sent me
          > happily on my way.
          > Does the Hangover still exist, I wonder?
          > Tony Standish

        • Bob Eagle

            Message 5 of 11 , May 13, 2008
              Tony. As I read, you got to N.O. in 1957 then ?

              Many moons and I expect you published but a drop before my time.

              Any chance of a glimpse at the treasure you heard ? Most memorable ?

              Thanks

              Message 6 of 11 , May 13, 2008
                'Old Gods almost dead, malign,
                Starving for unpaid dues'

                -- to quote Tony and Graves. Just found a wonderful Standish evocation of
                old N.O. in 'Just Jazz -3' Four Square. 1959.

                Too much to expect expansion at this date but was there ever more published
                contemporarily ?

              • Tony Standish
                Message 7 of 11 , May 14, 2008
                  Stacks of photos and jottings have accumulated, apart from the Jazz Journal
                  stuff (1959-1963). Am busily collating and printing and wondering what to do
                  with it all.
                  It's over fifty years ago! How time flies...
                  Tony S.

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 14, 2008
                    Tony

                    Great if you could publish. The examples that I have from that period are
                    fired, provocative and perceptive.

                  • Tony Standish
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 17, 2008
                      Thanks, Dave Richoux, for the lowdown on Club Hangover, which has obviously
                      changed a bit.
                      Oh well, the Two Deuces, Fump and Mannie's, Luthjen's and Burp Hollow have
                      gone, too.
                      I once checked out "between 18th and 19th down on Chestnut Street". Just
                      warehouses, now - or in the mid-90s, anyway.
                      Such is life
                      Tony Standish