Trumpet Around the corner

  • fraser540021
    Message 1 of 2 , May 9, 2008
      I too am reading this new book by Charters's.

      I am confused by page 88 and the reference to Emile Barnes, the
      sentence is ungrammatical and or just plain wrong!!

      Why also does Charters's dismiss the prospect of Buddy Bolden playing
      " Make me a pallet on the floor"? This same reference from Baquet is
      used by Daniel Hardie (The Birth of Jazz) as evidence of the tune being
      in Bolden's repertoire. We know the tune was extant at the time from
      JRM.

      Perhaps Charter's should have followed the suggestion that an updated
      version of the seminal work,"Jazz New Orleans" was what was required.

      However we should be grateful for any input from someone of the stature
      of Samuel Charters.

      Fraser Mccombe
    • Robert Greenwood
      Message 2 of 2 , May 20, 2008
        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "fraser540021" <fraser.mccombe@...>
        wrote:

        > I too am reading this new book by Charters's.
        >
        > I am confused by page 88 and the reference to Emile Barnes, the
        > sentence is ungrammatical and or just plain wrong!!

        Fraser

        I think that this sentence in Charters' book has suffered from poor
        proofreading and makes sense only if you remove, or ignore, the
        word "trombonist." My apologies to those subscribers to whom this must
        all be very opaque, but there are one or two typos in Sam Charters'
        Trumpet Around the Corner.

        May I add to those already expressed my fervent hopes for the eventual
        publication of the collected, or even selected, writings of Tony
        Standish? This would make a wonderful book.

        Robert G.