Re: Jelly Roll Morton lecture

  • Marco Romano
    Message 1 of 12 , May 7 9:16 AM
      Thank you Mr. Greenwood. Here is the booking details page,

      http://www.britishmuseum.org/whats_on/events_calendar/american_music.asp\
      <http://www.britishmuseum.org/whats_on/events_calendar/american_music.as\
      px>

      I hope that we can have a report from any British person who might
      attend.

      Marco Romano.

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Greenwood"
      <robertgreenwood_54uk@...> wrote:

      > Marybeth Hamilton, of Birkbeck College, and author of In Search of the
      > Blues is to deliver a lecture on the Jelly Roll Morton Library of
      > Congress recordings at 6.30 pm on Thursday 5th June in the Stevenson
      > Lecture Theatre at the British Museum. The lecture is entitled
      American
      > Music: Imagining New Orleans and is one of the events to tie in with
      > the BM exhibition The American Scene: Prints from Hopper to Pollock.
      > Excellent exhibition, by the way…
      > Robert Greenwood

    • Robert Greenwood
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 5, 2008
        This is a reminder that this event is taking place at the British
        Museum this evening.
        Marybeth Hamilton also presents this Saturday's edition of The
        Archive Hour on BBC Radio 4 at 8.00 pm when she will also discuss the
        Jelly Roll Morton Library of Congress recordings.
        And those who heard and enjoyed the Ken Colyer edition of BBC Radio
        3's Jazz Library which was broadcast on 18th April, might like to
        know that the Listeners' Feedback edition of Jazz Library is due to
        go out at 10.30 pm on Friday 27th June and includes further coverage
        of Ken's recorded output as well as the Christie Brothers Stompers'
        version of Creole Song that should have been played in the original
        programme instead of Heebie Jeebies.

        Robert Greenwood

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Marco Romano" <m15romano@...>
        wrote:

        > Thank you Mr. Greenwood. Here is the booking details page,

        http://www.britishmuseum.org/whats_on/events_calendar/american_music.a
        sp\

        <http://www.britishmuseum.org/whats_on/events_calendar/american_music.
        as\
        > px>
        >
        > I hope that we can have a report from any British person who might
        > attend.
        >
        > Marco Romano.
        >

        > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Greenwood"
        > <robertgreenwood_54uk@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Marybeth Hamilton, of Birkbeck College, and author of In Search
        of the
        > > Blues is to deliver a lecture on the Jelly Roll Morton Library of
        > > Congress recordings at 6.30 pm on Thursday 5th June in the
        Stevenson
        > > Lecture Theatre at the British Museum. The lecture is entitled
        > American
        > > Music: Imagining New Orleans and is one of the events to tie in
        with
        > > the BM exhibition The American Scene: Prints from Hopper to
        Pollock.
        > > Excellent exhibition, by the way…
        > > Robert Greenwood

      • Marco Romano
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 5, 2008
          Thank you Mr. Greenwood.

          I hope that you will be attending the event so that you can give a
          verdict of the lecture.

          Marco Romano.

          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Greenwood"
          <robertgreenwood_54uk@...> wrote:

          > This is a reminder that this event is taking place at the British
          > Museum this evening.
          > Marybeth Hamilton also presents this Saturday's edition of The
          > Archive Hour on BBC Radio 4 at 8.00 pm when she will also discuss
          the
          > Jelly Roll Morton Library of Congress recordings.
          > And those who heard and enjoyed the Ken Colyer edition of BBC Radio
          > 3's Jazz Library which was broadcast on 18th April, might like to
          > know that the Listeners' Feedback edition of Jazz Library is due to
          > go out at 10.30 pm on Friday 27th June and includes further
          coverage
          > of Ken's recorded output as well as the Christie Brothers Stompers'
          > version of Creole Song that should have been played in the original
          > programme instead of Heebie Jeebies.
          >
          > Robert Greenwood

        • Dan Van Landingham
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 5, 2008
            What frequency is BBC4 on?Since I'm here on the west coast of the U.S.,I'll have to figure
            out the time here.I've got an old post World War II general coverage short wave receiver in
            my shed I can bring in and fashion a jury rigged antenna for it.If memory serves,I have to
            add eight or nine hours to Pacific Daylight Savings Time to get GMT/UTC.I'm familiar with
            Jelly's transcriptions of his music but as to his lectures I am not.What I do remember is
            he used to have some business cards that claimed he was the inventor of jazz,stomp and'
            swing in the year of 1902.Has anyone came up with any proof regarding his birth year?Y-
            ears ago,I had read it was 1885.

            wrote:

            > Thank you Mr. Greenwood. Here is the booking details page,

            http://www.britishm useum.org/ whats_on/ events_calendar/ american_ music.a
            sp\

            <http://www.britishm useum.org/ whats_on/ events_calendar/ american_ music.
            as\
            > px>
            >
            > I hope that we can have a report from any British person who might
            > attend.
            >
            > Marco Romano.
            >

            > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogro ups.com, "Robert Greenwood"
            > <robertgreenwood_ 54uk@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Marybeth Hamilton, of Birkbeck College, and author of In Search
            of the
            > > Blues is to deliver a lecture on the Jelly Roll Morton Library of
            > > Congress recordings at 6.30 pm on Thursday 5th June in the
            Stevenson
            > > Lecture Theatre at the British Museum. The lecture is entitled
            > American
            > > Music: Imagining New Orleans and is one of the events to tie in
            with
            > > the BM exhibition The American Scene: Prints from Hopper to
            Pollock.
            > > Excellent exhibition, by the way�
            > > Robert Greenwood

          • hvandervink
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 5, 2008
              Hi Dan,

              Usually I listen to the BBC on-line at http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/
              <http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/> . It is a bit easier than cranking up
              the old short-wave.

              Hans

              --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Dan Van Landingham
              <danvanlandingham@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > >
              > > I hope that we can have a report from any British person who
              might
              > > attend.
              > >
              > > Marco Romano.
              > >

              > > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogro ups.com, "Robert Greenwood"
              > > <robertgreenwood_ 54uk@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Marybeth Hamilton, of Birkbeck College, and author of In
              > of the
              > > > Blues is to deliver a lecture on the Jelly Roll Morton
              Library of
              > > > Congress recordings at 6.30 pm on Thursday 5th June in the
              > Stevenson
              > > > Lecture Theatre at the British Museum. The lecture is
              entitled
              > > American
              > > > Music: Imagining New Orleans and is one of the events to tie
              in
              > with
              > > > the BM exhibition The American Scene: Prints from Hopper to

            • Dan Van Landingham
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 5, 2008
                You right of course,but having been a shortwave radio buff since I was a kid,I owned num-
                erous radios from 1930s(depression era consoles and table models to ham radio sets th-
                at covered all of the international shortwave frequencies and the bands the hams used to
                broadcast in code)to the mid 1960s.I can say that I've owned them from A(Airline,Atwat-
                er Kent circa 1936)to Zenith(the Transoceanics from 1946 to 1953).Those sets have to
                be played otherwise the components will fail on a moment's notice.I've had that happen to
                me on numerous occasions.I also owned a couple of Grundigs and a Loewe Optima which
                is still in storage in Lometa,Texas.On one occasion,I caught a broadcast from VOA and
                heard Dick Sudhalter on cornet.I was not all impressed with him:give me Red Nichols or
                Bobby Hackett any time.

> [...]
                > &gt; x
                > &gt;
                > &lt;http://www.britishm useum.org/ whats_on/ events_calendar/
                american_ music.
                > as\
                > &gt; px&gt;
                > &gt;
                > &gt; I hope that we can have a report from any British person who
                might
                > &gt; attend.
                > &gt;
                > &gt; Marco Romano.
                > &gt;
                > &gt;
                > &gt; --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogro ups.com, "Robert Greenwood"
                > &gt; &lt;robertgreenwood _ 54uk@&gt; wrote:
                > &gt; &gt;
                > &gt; &gt; Marybeth Hamilton, of Birkbeck College, and author of In
                > of the
                > &gt; &gt; Blues is to deliver a lecture on the Jelly Roll Morton
                Library of
                > &gt; &gt; Congress recordings at 6.30 pm on Thursday 5th June in the
                > Stevenson
                > &gt; &gt; Lecture Theatre at the British Museum. The lecture is
                entitled
                > &gt; American
                > &gt; &gt; Music: Imagining New Orleans and is one of the events to tie
                in
                > with
                > &gt; &gt; the BM exhibition The American Scene: Prints from Hopper to
                > Pollock.
                > &gt; &gt; Excellent exhibition, by the way�
                > &gt; &gt; Robert Greenwood
                > &gt; &gt;
                > &gt;
                > &gt;
                > &gt;
                > &gt;
                > &gt; [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                > &gt;

              • Robert Greenwood
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 6, 2008
                  wrote:

                  > Thank you Mr. Greenwood.
                  >
                  > I hope that you will be attending the event so that you can give a
                  > verdict of the lecture.
                  >
                  > Marco Romano.

                  There's not a lot to report, Marco. I suspect that what I heard last
                  night was a preview of what we will hear tomorrow evening on Radio 4.
                  Marybeth Hamilton is an historian and doesn't even seem particularly
                  interested in, or to have any great love for, the music. She
                  certainly did not discuss Morton's music and concentrated instead on
                  the stories of gamblers, hoodlums, and sharp dressers, and played
                  substantial extracts from the Lomax interviews. I suspect that, as an
                  academic, she has found in the Morton Library of Congress recordings
                  a Subject with a capital S. Perhaps I am cynical, but this all helps
                  to retain her academic tenure and, after all, her audience is
                  probably a bunch of students and other academics with no interest
                  whatsoever in the likes of Jelly Roll Morton. Her interest in Morton
                  seems not to extend beyond the LoC sessions which she seems to treat
                  as a sociological phenomenon. Alarm bells rang for me when, at the
                  end of her lecture, no questions from the floor were invited. On the
                  whole, she was very patronising about the interest shown in New
                  Orleans music and viewed it as mere romanticism. We heard the usual
                  stuff about how the Red Hot Peppers sides were highly prized by white
                  collectors but were a matter of indifference to African-Americans.
                  Oh, and she implied that Mamie Desdumes was maybe a figment of
                  Jelly's colourful imagination.
                  My verdict is that, with so much real expert knowledge around, a much
                  better, more informed, and more sympathetic lecture could have been
                  given, but not by Dr Hamilton.

                  Robert Greenwood
                • Tony Standish
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 6, 2008
                    Welll, I googled Mamie D. and you can get her DVDs on the net. So she must
                    exist Did the lady deny the existence of Black Benny, too? Maybe he wasn't a
                    bad, bad man! Maybe he didn't exist either..
                    Robert - I hope the seats were comfortable, and was there sherry?
                    And who were those white collectors, 'way back then? Even Derrick
                    Stewart-Baxter would have been a mere babe, or a glint in his daddy's eye.
                    Sometimes our burden is so hard to bear....
                    Tony Standish
                    >> I hope that you will be attending the event so that you can give a
                    >> verdict of the lecture.
                    >>
                    >> Marco Romano.
                    >>

                    > There's not a lot to report, Marco. I suspect that what I heard last
                    > night was a preview of what we will hear tomorrow evening on Radio 4.
                    > Marybeth Hamilton is an historian and doesn't even seem particularly
                    > interested in, or to have any great love for, the music. She
                    > certainly did not discuss Morton's music and concentrated instead on
                    > the stories of gamblers, hoodlums, and sharp dressers, and played
                    > substantial extracts from the Lomax interviews. I suspect that, as an
                    > academic, she has found in the Morton Library of Congress recordings
                    > a Subject with a capital S. Perhaps I am cynical, but this all helps
                    > to retain her academic tenure and, after all, her audience is
                    > probably a bunch of students and other academics with no interest
                    > whatsoever in the likes of Jelly Roll Morton. Her interest in Morton
                    > seems not to extend beyond the LoC sessions which she seems to treat
                    > as a sociological phenomenon. Alarm bells rang for me when, at the
                    > end of her lecture, no questions from the floor were invited. On the
                    > whole, she was very patronising about the interest shown in New
                    > Orleans music and viewed it as mere romanticism. We heard the usual
                    > stuff about how the Red Hot Peppers sides were highly prized by white
                    > collectors but were a matter of indifference to African-Americans.
                    > Oh, and she implied that Mamie Desdumes was maybe a figment of
                    > Jelly's colourful imagination.
                    > My verdict is that, with so much real expert knowledge around, a much
                    > better, more informed, and more sympathetic lecture could have been
                    > given, but not by Dr Hamilton.
                    >
                    > Robert Greenwood

                  • Robert Greenwood
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 6, 2008
                      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Standish" <mojohand@...> wrote:

                      > Robert - I hope the seats were comfortable, and was there sherry?

                      > Sometimes our burden is so hard to bear....
                      > Tony Standish

                      Hahaha. No, Tony, the seats were quite uncomfortable and there was no
                      sherry and no canapés. She did say that many of the LoC recordings were
                      unplayable on the BBC but we were not treated to any of the unplayables
                      last night, either. I look forward to her lecture on Speckled Red's The
                      Dirtier Dozens and The Dirtiest Dozens…
                      Robert
                    • Marco Romano
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 6, 2008
                        Hello Mr. Greenwood.

                        Thank you very much for taking time out to give all of us on this
                        group your erudite version of the lecture.

                        In my opinion Marybeth Hamilton could not be a very good historian if
                        she discounts Mamie Desdunes as being a real person. There is a whole
                        lot of information by Mr. Peter Hanley about her and her family at,

                        http://www.doctorjazz.co.uk/portnewor.html

                        I am going to make an attempt to listen to the BBC radio program on
                        Sunday. Thank you.

                        Marco Romano.

                        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Greenwood"
                        <robertgreenwood_54uk@...> wrote:

                        > There's not a lot to report, Marco. I suspect that what I heard
                        last
                        > night was a preview of what we will hear tomorrow evening on Radio
                        4.
                        > Marybeth Hamilton is an historian and doesn't even seem
                        particularly
                        > interested in, or to have any great love for, the music. She
                        > certainly did not discuss Morton's music and concentrated instead
                        on
                        > the stories of gamblers, hoodlums, and sharp dressers, and played
                        > substantial extracts from the Lomax interviews. I suspect that, as
                        an
                        > academic, she has found in the Morton Library of Congress
                        recordings
                        > a Subject with a capital S. Perhaps I am cynical, but this all
                        helps
                        > to retain her academic tenure and, after all, her audience is
                        > probably a bunch of students and other academics with no interest
                        > whatsoever in the likes of Jelly Roll Morton. Her interest in
                        Morton
                        > seems not to extend beyond the LoC sessions which she seems to
                        treat
                        > as a sociological phenomenon. Alarm bells rang for me when, at the
                        > end of her lecture, no questions from the floor were invited. On
                        the
                        > whole, she was very patronising about the interest shown in New
                        > Orleans music and viewed it as mere romanticism. We heard the usual
                        > stuff about how the Red Hot Peppers sides were highly prized by
                        white
                        > collectors but were a matter of indifference to African-Americans.
                        > Oh, and she implied that Mamie Desdumes was maybe a figment of
                        > Jelly's colourful imagination.
                        > My verdict is that, with so much real expert knowledge around, a
                        much
                        > better, more informed, and more sympathetic lecture could have been
                        > given, but not by Dr Hamilton.
                        >
                        > Robert Greenwood

                      • Robert Greenwood
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 6, 2008
                          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Marco Romano" <m15romano@...> wrote:

                          > Hello Mr. Greenwood.
                          >
                          > Thank you very much for taking time out to give all of us on this
                          > group your erudite version of the lecture.
                          >
                          > In my opinion Marybeth Hamilton could not be a very good historian if
                          > she discounts Mamie Desdunes as being a real person. There is a whole
                          > lot of information by Mr. Peter Hanley about her and her family at,
                          >
                          > http://www.doctorjazz.co.uk/portnewor.html

                          Dr Hamilton gave no indication whatever that she had looked into Mike
                          Meddings' excellent web site or had taken into account the invaluable
                          research work found there, but as someone hidden away in a university
                          department, she is never likely to be called to account by any of her
                          colleagues. I do not dismiss academia, by the way. I am a graduate
                          myself and have a daughter at university. I just think that academic
                          standards should be higher and that research should be thorough. Mamie
                          Desdunes last night was written off as a three-fingered prostitute
                          Jelly had known in his youth. Hamilton's tone implied that maybe
                          Desdunes never existed.
                          Robert