Jelly Roll Morton lecture

  • Robert Greenwood
    Message 1 of 12 , May 7, 2008
      Marybeth Hamilton, of Birkbeck College, and author of In Search of the
      Blues is to deliver a lecture on the Jelly Roll Morton Library of
      Congress recordings at 6.30 pm on Thursday 5th June in the Stevenson
      Lecture Theatre at the British Museum. The lecture is entitled American
      Music: Imagining New Orleans and is one of the events to tie in with
      the BM exhibition The American Scene: Prints from Hopper to Pollock.
      Excellent exhibition, by the way…
      Robert Greenwood
    • Marco Romano
      Message 2 of 12 , May 7, 2008
        Thank you Mr. Greenwood. Here is the booking details page,

        http://www.britishmuseum.org/whats_on/events_calendar/american_music.asp\
        <http://www.britishmuseum.org/whats_on/events_calendar/american_music.as\
        px>

        I hope that we can have a report from any British person who might
        attend.

        Marco Romano.

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Greenwood"
        <robertgreenwood_54uk@...> wrote:

        > Marybeth Hamilton, of Birkbeck College, and author of In Search of the
        > Blues is to deliver a lecture on the Jelly Roll Morton Library of
        > Congress recordings at 6.30 pm on Thursday 5th June in the Stevenson
        > Lecture Theatre at the British Museum. The lecture is entitled
        American
        > Music: Imagining New Orleans and is one of the events to tie in with
        > the BM exhibition The American Scene: Prints from Hopper to Pollock.
        > Excellent exhibition, by the way…
        > Robert Greenwood

      • Robert Greenwood
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 5, 2008
          This is a reminder that this event is taking place at the British
          Museum this evening.
          Marybeth Hamilton also presents this Saturday's edition of The
          Archive Hour on BBC Radio 4 at 8.00 pm when she will also discuss the
          Jelly Roll Morton Library of Congress recordings.
          And those who heard and enjoyed the Ken Colyer edition of BBC Radio
          3's Jazz Library which was broadcast on 18th April, might like to
          know that the Listeners' Feedback edition of Jazz Library is due to
          go out at 10.30 pm on Friday 27th June and includes further coverage
          of Ken's recorded output as well as the Christie Brothers Stompers'
          version of Creole Song that should have been played in the original
          programme instead of Heebie Jeebies.

          Robert Greenwood

          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Marco Romano" <m15romano@...>
          wrote:

          > Thank you Mr. Greenwood. Here is the booking details page,

          http://www.britishmuseum.org/whats_on/events_calendar/american_music.a
          sp\

          <http://www.britishmuseum.org/whats_on/events_calendar/american_music.
          as\
          > px>
          >
          > I hope that we can have a report from any British person who might
          > attend.
          >
          > Marco Romano.
          >

          > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Greenwood"
          > <robertgreenwood_54uk@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Marybeth Hamilton, of Birkbeck College, and author of In Search
          of the
          > > Blues is to deliver a lecture on the Jelly Roll Morton Library of
          > > Congress recordings at 6.30 pm on Thursday 5th June in the
          Stevenson
          > > Lecture Theatre at the British Museum. The lecture is entitled
          > American
          > > Music: Imagining New Orleans and is one of the events to tie in
          with
          > > the BM exhibition The American Scene: Prints from Hopper to
          Pollock.
          > > Excellent exhibition, by the way…
          > > Robert Greenwood

        • Marco Romano
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 5, 2008
            Thank you Mr. Greenwood.

            I hope that you will be attending the event so that you can give a
            verdict of the lecture.

            Marco Romano.

            --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Greenwood"
            <robertgreenwood_54uk@...> wrote:

            > This is a reminder that this event is taking place at the British
            > Museum this evening.
            > Marybeth Hamilton also presents this Saturday's edition of The
            > Archive Hour on BBC Radio 4 at 8.00 pm when she will also discuss
            the
            > Jelly Roll Morton Library of Congress recordings.
            > And those who heard and enjoyed the Ken Colyer edition of BBC Radio
            > 3's Jazz Library which was broadcast on 18th April, might like to
            > know that the Listeners' Feedback edition of Jazz Library is due to
            > go out at 10.30 pm on Friday 27th June and includes further
            coverage
            > of Ken's recorded output as well as the Christie Brothers Stompers'
            > version of Creole Song that should have been played in the original
            > programme instead of Heebie Jeebies.
            >
            > Robert Greenwood

          • Dan Van Landingham
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 5, 2008
              What frequency is BBC4 on?Since I'm here on the west coast of the U.S.,I'll have to figure
              out the time here.I've got an old post World War II general coverage short wave receiver in
              my shed I can bring in and fashion a jury rigged antenna for it.If memory serves,I have to
              add eight or nine hours to Pacific Daylight Savings Time to get GMT/UTC.I'm familiar with
              Jelly's transcriptions of his music but as to his lectures I am not.What I do remember is
              he used to have some business cards that claimed he was the inventor of jazz,stomp and'
              swing in the year of 1902.Has anyone came up with any proof regarding his birth year?Y-
              ears ago,I had read it was 1885.

              wrote:

              > Thank you Mr. Greenwood. Here is the booking details page,

              http://www.britishm useum.org/ whats_on/ events_calendar/ american_ music.a
              sp\

              <http://www.britishm useum.org/ whats_on/ events_calendar/ american_ music.
              as\
              > px>
              >
              > I hope that we can have a report from any British person who might
              > attend.
              >
              > Marco Romano.
              >

              > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogro ups.com, "Robert Greenwood"
              > <robertgreenwood_ 54uk@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Marybeth Hamilton, of Birkbeck College, and author of In Search
              of the
              > > Blues is to deliver a lecture on the Jelly Roll Morton Library of
              > > Congress recordings at 6.30 pm on Thursday 5th June in the
              Stevenson
              > > Lecture Theatre at the British Museum. The lecture is entitled
              > American
              > > Music: Imagining New Orleans and is one of the events to tie in
              with
              > > the BM exhibition The American Scene: Prints from Hopper to
              Pollock.
              > > Excellent exhibition, by the way�
              > > Robert Greenwood

            • hvandervink
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 5, 2008
                Hi Dan,

                Usually I listen to the BBC on-line at http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/
                <http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/> . It is a bit easier than cranking up
                the old short-wave.

                Hans

                --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Dan Van Landingham
                <danvanlandingham@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > >
                > > I hope that we can have a report from any British person who
                might
                > > attend.
                > >
                > > Marco Romano.
                > >

                > > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogro ups.com, "Robert Greenwood"
                > > <robertgreenwood_ 54uk@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Marybeth Hamilton, of Birkbeck College, and author of In
                > of the
                > > > Blues is to deliver a lecture on the Jelly Roll Morton
                Library of
                > > > Congress recordings at 6.30 pm on Thursday 5th June in the
                > Stevenson
                > > > Lecture Theatre at the British Museum. The lecture is
                entitled
                > > American
                > > > Music: Imagining New Orleans and is one of the events to tie
                in
                > with
                > > > the BM exhibition The American Scene: Prints from Hopper to

              • Dan Van Landingham
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 5, 2008
                  You right of course,but having been a shortwave radio buff since I was a kid,I owned num-
                  erous radios from 1930s(depression era consoles and table models to ham radio sets th-
                  at covered all of the international shortwave frequencies and the bands the hams used to
                  broadcast in code)to the mid 1960s.I can say that I've owned them from A(Airline,Atwat-
                  er Kent circa 1936)to Zenith(the Transoceanics from 1946 to 1953).Those sets have to
                  be played otherwise the components will fail on a moment's notice.I've had that happen to
                  me on numerous occasions.I also owned a couple of Grundigs and a Loewe Optima which
                  is still in storage in Lometa,Texas.On one occasion,I caught a broadcast from VOA and
                  heard Dick Sudhalter on cornet.I was not all impressed with him:give me Red Nichols or
                  Bobby Hackett any time.

> [...]
                  > &gt; x
                  > &gt;
                  > &lt;http://www.britishm useum.org/ whats_on/ events_calendar/
                  american_ music.
                  > as\
                  > &gt; px&gt;
                  > &gt;
                  > &gt; I hope that we can have a report from any British person who
                  might
                  > &gt; attend.
                  > &gt;
                  > &gt; Marco Romano.
                  > &gt;
                  > &gt;
                  > &gt; --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogro ups.com, "Robert Greenwood"
                  > &gt; &lt;robertgreenwood _ 54uk@&gt; wrote:
                  > &gt; &gt;
                  > &gt; &gt; Marybeth Hamilton, of Birkbeck College, and author of In
                  > of the
                  > &gt; &gt; Blues is to deliver a lecture on the Jelly Roll Morton
                  Library of
                  > &gt; &gt; Congress recordings at 6.30 pm on Thursday 5th June in the
                  > Stevenson
                  > &gt; &gt; Lecture Theatre at the British Museum. The lecture is
                  entitled
                  > &gt; American
                  > &gt; &gt; Music: Imagining New Orleans and is one of the events to tie
                  in
                  > with
                  > &gt; &gt; the BM exhibition The American Scene: Prints from Hopper to
                  > Pollock.
                  > &gt; &gt; Excellent exhibition, by the way�
                  > &gt; &gt; Robert Greenwood
                  > &gt; &gt;
                  > &gt;
                  > &gt;
                  > &gt;
                  > &gt;
                  > &gt; [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                  > &gt;

                • Robert Greenwood
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 6, 2008
                    wrote:

                    > Thank you Mr. Greenwood.
                    >
                    > I hope that you will be attending the event so that you can give a
                    > verdict of the lecture.
                    >
                    > Marco Romano.

                    There's not a lot to report, Marco. I suspect that what I heard last
                    night was a preview of what we will hear tomorrow evening on Radio 4.
                    Marybeth Hamilton is an historian and doesn't even seem particularly
                    interested in, or to have any great love for, the music. She
                    certainly did not discuss Morton's music and concentrated instead on
                    the stories of gamblers, hoodlums, and sharp dressers, and played
                    substantial extracts from the Lomax interviews. I suspect that, as an
                    academic, she has found in the Morton Library of Congress recordings
                    a Subject with a capital S. Perhaps I am cynical, but this all helps
                    to retain her academic tenure and, after all, her audience is
                    probably a bunch of students and other academics with no interest
                    whatsoever in the likes of Jelly Roll Morton. Her interest in Morton
                    seems not to extend beyond the LoC sessions which she seems to treat
                    as a sociological phenomenon. Alarm bells rang for me when, at the
                    end of her lecture, no questions from the floor were invited. On the
                    whole, she was very patronising about the interest shown in New
                    Orleans music and viewed it as mere romanticism. We heard the usual
                    stuff about how the Red Hot Peppers sides were highly prized by white
                    collectors but were a matter of indifference to African-Americans.
                    Oh, and she implied that Mamie Desdumes was maybe a figment of
                    Jelly's colourful imagination.
                    My verdict is that, with so much real expert knowledge around, a much
                    better, more informed, and more sympathetic lecture could have been
                    given, but not by Dr Hamilton.

                    Robert Greenwood
                  • Tony Standish
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 6, 2008
                      Welll, I googled Mamie D. and you can get her DVDs on the net. So she must
                      exist Did the lady deny the existence of Black Benny, too? Maybe he wasn't a
                      bad, bad man! Maybe he didn't exist either..
                      Robert - I hope the seats were comfortable, and was there sherry?
                      And who were those white collectors, 'way back then? Even Derrick
                      Stewart-Baxter would have been a mere babe, or a glint in his daddy's eye.
                      Sometimes our burden is so hard to bear....
                      Tony Standish
                      >> I hope that you will be attending the event so that you can give a
                      >> verdict of the lecture.
                      >>
                      >> Marco Romano.
                      >>

                      > There's not a lot to report, Marco. I suspect that what I heard last
                      > night was a preview of what we will hear tomorrow evening on Radio 4.
                      > Marybeth Hamilton is an historian and doesn't even seem particularly
                      > interested in, or to have any great love for, the music. She
                      > certainly did not discuss Morton's music and concentrated instead on
                      > the stories of gamblers, hoodlums, and sharp dressers, and played
                      > substantial extracts from the Lomax interviews. I suspect that, as an
                      > academic, she has found in the Morton Library of Congress recordings
                      > a Subject with a capital S. Perhaps I am cynical, but this all helps
                      > to retain her academic tenure and, after all, her audience is
                      > probably a bunch of students and other academics with no interest
                      > whatsoever in the likes of Jelly Roll Morton. Her interest in Morton
                      > seems not to extend beyond the LoC sessions which she seems to treat
                      > as a sociological phenomenon. Alarm bells rang for me when, at the
                      > end of her lecture, no questions from the floor were invited. On the
                      > whole, she was very patronising about the interest shown in New
                      > Orleans music and viewed it as mere romanticism. We heard the usual
                      > stuff about how the Red Hot Peppers sides were highly prized by white
                      > collectors but were a matter of indifference to African-Americans.
                      > Oh, and she implied that Mamie Desdumes was maybe a figment of
                      > Jelly's colourful imagination.
                      > My verdict is that, with so much real expert knowledge around, a much
                      > better, more informed, and more sympathetic lecture could have been
                      > given, but not by Dr Hamilton.
                      >
                      > Robert Greenwood

                    • Robert Greenwood
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 6, 2008
                        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Standish" <mojohand@...> wrote:

                        > Robert - I hope the seats were comfortable, and was there sherry?

                        > Sometimes our burden is so hard to bear....
                        > Tony Standish

                        Hahaha. No, Tony, the seats were quite uncomfortable and there was no
                        sherry and no canapés. She did say that many of the LoC recordings were
                        unplayable on the BBC but we were not treated to any of the unplayables
                        last night, either. I look forward to her lecture on Speckled Red's The
                        Dirtier Dozens and The Dirtiest Dozens…
                        Robert
                      • Marco Romano
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 6, 2008
                          Hello Mr. Greenwood.

                          Thank you very much for taking time out to give all of us on this
                          group your erudite version of the lecture.

                          In my opinion Marybeth Hamilton could not be a very good historian if
                          she discounts Mamie Desdunes as being a real person. There is a whole
                          lot of information by Mr. Peter Hanley about her and her family at,

                          http://www.doctorjazz.co.uk/portnewor.html

                          I am going to make an attempt to listen to the BBC radio program on
                          Sunday. Thank you.

                          Marco Romano.

                          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Greenwood"
                          <robertgreenwood_54uk@...> wrote:

                          > There's not a lot to report, Marco. I suspect that what I heard
                          last
                          > night was a preview of what we will hear tomorrow evening on Radio
                          4.
                          > Marybeth Hamilton is an historian and doesn't even seem
                          particularly
                          > interested in, or to have any great love for, the music. She
                          > certainly did not discuss Morton's music and concentrated instead
                          on
                          > the stories of gamblers, hoodlums, and sharp dressers, and played
                          > substantial extracts from the Lomax interviews. I suspect that, as
                          an
                          > academic, she has found in the Morton Library of Congress
                          recordings
                          > a Subject with a capital S. Perhaps I am cynical, but this all
                          helps
                          > to retain her academic tenure and, after all, her audience is
                          > probably a bunch of students and other academics with no interest
                          > whatsoever in the likes of Jelly Roll Morton. Her interest in
                          Morton
                          > seems not to extend beyond the LoC sessions which she seems to
                          treat
                          > as a sociological phenomenon. Alarm bells rang for me when, at the
                          > end of her lecture, no questions from the floor were invited. On
                          the
                          > whole, she was very patronising about the interest shown in New
                          > Orleans music and viewed it as mere romanticism. We heard the usual
                          > stuff about how the Red Hot Peppers sides were highly prized by
                          white
                          > collectors but were a matter of indifference to African-Americans.
                          > Oh, and she implied that Mamie Desdumes was maybe a figment of
                          > Jelly's colourful imagination.
                          > My verdict is that, with so much real expert knowledge around, a
                          much
                          > better, more informed, and more sympathetic lecture could have been
                          > given, but not by Dr Hamilton.
                          >
                          > Robert Greenwood

                        • Robert Greenwood
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 6, 2008
                            --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Marco Romano" <m15romano@...> wrote:

                            > Hello Mr. Greenwood.
                            >
                            > Thank you very much for taking time out to give all of us on this
                            > group your erudite version of the lecture.
                            >
                            > In my opinion Marybeth Hamilton could not be a very good historian if
                            > she discounts Mamie Desdunes as being a real person. There is a whole
                            > lot of information by Mr. Peter Hanley about her and her family at,
                            >
                            > http://www.doctorjazz.co.uk/portnewor.html

                            Dr Hamilton gave no indication whatever that she had looked into Mike
                            Meddings' excellent web site or had taken into account the invaluable
                            research work found there, but as someone hidden away in a university
                            department, she is never likely to be called to account by any of her
                            colleagues. I do not dismiss academia, by the way. I am a graduate
                            myself and have a daughter at university. I just think that academic
                            standards should be higher and that research should be thorough. Mamie
                            Desdunes last night was written off as a three-fingered prostitute
                            Jelly had known in his youth. Hamilton's tone implied that maybe
                            Desdunes never existed.
                            Robert