Nat King Cole and Lester Young

  • John Cochran
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 25, 2008
      Hi, all. I hope this doesn't fall outside the intended subject matter
      for this group, but I'm searching for Nat King Cole/Lester Young
      recording ... and looking for some guidance.

      What I'm looking for is an early session .. I think around 1942 ...
      that includes the songs "Indiana" and "Jammin' With Lester." Nat is
      playing piano.

      I purchased a record of this session put out by Crown, an inexpensive
      label, and my copy anyway is marred by a strange bass hum or rumble on
      one side ... which makes it all but un-listenable. Making it more
      strange, the vinyl otherwise appears to have been seldom, if ever,
      played. It appears perfect.

      Does anyone know anything about this session? Is it out there on vinyl
      on another label? And is the rumble I'm hearing just Crown's cheap
      vinyl, or is there a problem with the recording on this session generally?

      Thanks!
      John C.
      Washington, D.C.
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 27, 2008
        Hi John

        The 1942 session (July 15th) included Indiana, I Can't Get Started, Tea for
        Two and Body and Soul, all reissued on a Blue Note CD-set (The Complete
        Aladdin Recordings of Lester Young) - a bit of surface noise anf distortion
        indeed, but not what call rumble. If the takes you have include Barney
        Kessel on guitar, they come from a later - and "cleaner" - session (Aug. 4
        1952)... or maybe you have a combination of both, because there was no
        "Jamming With Lester" recorded in 42.
        I cannot help you much about vinyls, if that is what you are looking for.
        Maybe a Google search would (I've just seen two fairly expensive second-hand
        copies of a Musidisc LP called "Nat King Cole/Lester Young quintet",
        including both numbers, on the French PriceMinister website). If you need
        the trio, I suppose Aladdin would be the right keyword.

        Good luck!

        > Hi, all. I hope this doesn't fall outside the intended subject matter
        > for this group, but I'm searching for Nat King Cole/Lester Young
        > recording ... and looking for some guidance.
        >
        > What I'm looking for is an early session .. I think around 1942 ...
        > that includes the songs "Indiana" and "Jammin' With Lester." Nat is
        > playing piano.
        >
        > I purchased a record of this session put out by Crown, an inexpensive
        > label, and my copy anyway is marred by a strange bass hum or rumble on
        > one side ... which makes it all but un-listenable. Making it more
        > strange, the vinyl otherwise appears to have been seldom, if ever,
        > played. It appears perfect.
        >
        > Does anyone know anything about this session? Is it out there on vinyl
        > on another label? And is the rumble I'm hearing just Crown's cheap
        > vinyl, or is there a problem with the recording on this session generally?
        >
        > Thanks!
        > John C.
        > Washington, D.C.

      • Dan Van Landingham
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 27, 2008
          I have an album of those two in my collection.I don't know where you are in this world,but
          many years ago,there was a spate of low price department stores dotted throughout this
          country some forty-odd years ago.I grew up here in the Coos Bay-North Bend,Oregon ar-
          ea and I saw many LPs that sold for under a dollar or less.One store I remember being
          in and out of was an $.88 store in downtown Coos Bay back around 1962.There was also
          a Sprouse-Reitz store in the same general area.They,too,sold inexpensive LPs.
          Many years later,I learned that many labels then used masters that were originally
          issued on the Black and White and Musicraft labels from the mid-forties.The quality of
          sound varied.You mentioned Crown Records.Crown came into existance after the RPM
          and Modern labels folded in the early sixties.Modern-RPM issued alot of mid 1950s
          Rhythm and Blues/Rock and Roll singles by a spate of black artists.The late Jesse B-
          elvin recorded for them(his biggest hit there was "Goodnight My Love" from 1956)and
          the black singer/pianist Hadda Brooks.Crown also had a number of Big Band Era rec-
          reations some of which were quite good.My late friends guitarist Al Hendrickson and
          alto and tenor saxophonist Skeets Herfurt were on a number of them.Crown Records
          also issued alot of albums of organ music(ala Ken Griffin)plus music from around the
          world,classical music albums and music with percussion showing off the new stereo
          phenomina starting in the late '50s.The list of inexpensive albums were in the dozens
          many using then selling or leasing masters as the aforementioned Black and White
          and Musicraft sides.TOPS was a lable that used the 1946-50 Black and White mast-
          ers.It was owned by Bob Shad.The Bihari brothers owned Modern-RPM.I hope this
          helps you.

          John Cochran <johnmcochran@...> wrote:
[...]

        • Michael Ullman
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 28, 2008
            The Definitive label has the "complete" Lester
            Young-Nat Cole recordings with the cuts you want. I've
            several versions of them, and none has the bass rumble
            that you have identified....

            Michael Ullman

            Michael Ullman
            136 Woodward St.
            Newton, Mass. 02461
            617-964-6994
            cell--617-429-5611

            Be a better friend, newshound, and
          • spacelights
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 28, 2008
              Yes, I once heard the Crown LP and recall a similar sound, agree it's
              likely a result of Crown's pressing or transfer. Lester's 1942 sides
              with the Nat Cole Trio reappear on LP 'Nat "King" Cole Meets the
              Master Saxes' (Spotlite, England). These tracks seem to be a glaring
              omission from Rust's 'Jazz Records.'

              If you wish to settle for CD, there's 'Lester Young/Nat "King" Cole -
              complete recordings' (Definitive, Andorra), 15 tracks including
              "Lester Leaps In" from a 1946 radio transcription.

              --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "John Cochran" <johnmcochran@...>
              wrote:

              > Hi, all. I hope this doesn't fall outside the intended subject matter
              > for this group, but I'm searching for Nat King Cole/Lester Young
              > recording ... and looking for some guidance.
              >
              > What I'm looking for is an early session .. I think around 1942 ...
              > that includes the songs "Indiana" and "Jammin' With Lester." Nat is
              > playing piano.
              >
              > I purchased a record of this session put out by Crown, an inexpensive
              > label, and my copy anyway is marred by a strange bass hum or rumble on
              > one side ... which makes it all but un-listenable. Making it more
              > strange, the vinyl otherwise appears to have been seldom, if ever,
              > played. It appears perfect.
              >
              > Does anyone know anything about this session? Is it out there on vinyl
              > on another label? And is the rumble I'm hearing just Crown's cheap
              > vinyl, or is there a problem with the recording on this session
              generally?

              > Thanks!
              > John C.
              > Washington, D.C.

            • Robert Dewar
              Message 6 of 8 , May 1, 2008
                And what wonderful music it is! There are times when I wish that Nat didn't
                have such golden pipes and had stuck with playing jazz piano.Now that's
                supremely selfish and then I listen to him singing "Route 66" and feel
                chastened.

                I was trying to find a collection of quotes I had of musicians who point to
                those recordings as very important to their development. I can understand
                why as they inspire this non musician to keep on keepin on..wink

                Rob

                On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 10:16 PM, Michael Ullman <maullman45@...>
                wrote:

                > The Definitive label has the "complete" Lester
                > Young-Nat Cole recordings with the cuts you want. I've
                > several versions of them, and none has the bass rumble
                > that you have identified....
                >
                > Michael Ullman

              • spacelights
                Message 7 of 8 , May 10, 2008
                  Nat Cole's Trio also made excellent jazz sides with Lionel Hampton in
                  1940, especially Victor 26724 ("Jivin' With Jarvis" / "Blue") as The
                  Hampton Rhythm Boys...

                  Message 8 of 8 , May 10, 2008
                    I had a 1946 RCA 78 set of the "Esquire All American Award Winners."Jivin' with Jarvis" was
                    one of the 78s in that set.The set also had Ellington's "Rock-a-Bye River" as well as a blues
                    that was called "Buckin' the Blues" that featured the trumpet of Buck Clayton and John Col-
                    lins on guitar.There was a time when Hampton toyed with the idea of having a big band bui-
                    lt the King Cole Trio.I would have to go through my LP collection,but it seems that I have "J-
                    ivin' with Jarvis on an RCA Camden LP.I remember hearing a couple of other sides from that
                    Esquire album,one was "Blue Me Down",written by Billy Moore,Jr. and based on the chords
                    of "I Got Rhythm"(I just hated it;"Rock-a-Bye River" was on the reverse)and "Mouldy Fig S-
                    tomp" which was supposed a parody based on the chords of "Basin Street Blues".Chubby
                    had some "humourus" vocalisms and featured Harry Carney and Coleman Hawkins who
                    had a solo spot on one side of "Indian Summer".He was in fine form.In the early seventies,
                    those aforementioned sides were reissued on RCA's reactivated "Vintage Series".