RE: [RedHotJazz] Oliver Mesheux

  • Dan Van Landingham
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 13, 2008
      I've never heard of trumpeter Oliver Mecheux or pianist Vivian Fox,but Jimmy Shirley was a
      guitarist who once recorded for Artie Shaw in July of 1941(the vocalist was Lena Horne) for
      RCA.Israel Crosby played bass for Fletcher Henderson in 1936;Sandy Williams was a trombonist who worked for several bandleaders.He in Coleman Hawkins' shortlived big
      band from 1940 as well as Cootie Williams' 1942 big band which included several castoffs
      from Satchmo's various big bands from 1936-41.I believe drummer Tommy Benford may
      have worked for Fletcher Henderson.I remember his name from Chilton's "Who's Who of
      Jazz".

      Michael Rader <Rader.Michael@...> wrote:
      Dave and anyone else with an interest in Mesheux,

      There's an article on Pigmeat Markham in Art Hodes' "Selections From The Gutter" by Alison Blair. At the end, there's a reference to the session with Mesheux. The titles were "How Long, How Long Blues", Blues Before Sunrise", "See See Rider" and "You've Been a Good Old Wagon". The accompaniment was by a sextet: Mesheux-t; Sandy Williams-tb; Vivian Smith-p; Israel Crosby-b; Jimmy Shirley-; Tommy Benford-d. On Mesheux, Blair writes: Recorded here for the first time, Oliver "Rev." mesheux gives a performance which makes one wonder where he has been hiding. His tone and style of attack have all the intensity and blues spirit which is so rare in trumpet players today."

      Michael Rader