Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: The Importance of Being Kid Ernest

  • Dan Van Landingham
    Message 1 of 32 , Apr 9, 2008
      On the subject of Paramount:has anything come to light regarding the rumour about Paramount's masters having been found in a river?I heard this from a friend of mine last
      year.

      spacelights <spacelights@...> wrote:

      > The actual sound of Kid Ernest is unique -- or can anybody find
      anything
      > similar ? Nothing N.O. about it at all but also unlike the freak work of
      > Sweatman or Crawley or even Arnett.
      >
      > Here is an extremely vernacular musician sounding totally unschooled so
      > indeed, as Howard describes, unlikely to be Moliere.

      I think his intonation, and the somewhat tenuous quality of his
      embellishments--especially on blues numbers with Bracey or Tommy
      Johnson--give the impression of a relatively unschooled player...
      It's strange however, on "Mobile Stomp"/"Farish St. Rag" (Paramount
      12980, credited solely to the New Orleans Nehi Boys) he really opens
      up, performing quite competently. This is a jazz record along the
      lines of some of the more "countryish" Dodds outings. Perhaps it's
      harder to gauge where a player comes from by 1929-30, as records had
      certainly become much more influential by that time.

      Has Paramount 13121 been found? -

      P.C. Railroad Blues
      Charles Taylor acc. by New Orleans Nehi Boys

      Message 32 of 32 , Apr 10, 2008
        Thanks John for pointing to 'Mobile/Farish'.

        I have only been able to sample but the playing here is certainly more
        fluent although full of slaps, pops, squeaks, growls and rasps. Indeed not a
        million miles away from Dodds although he was a serious and sober musician.