Re: [RedHotJazz] Arnett Nelson

    Message 1 of 38 , Apr 7, 2008
      I obviously have no idea what Lord has copied from where, but at a rough
      count (I might have failed to note some adjacent sessions separately) Arnett
      appears on 27 sessions in Blues & Gospel Records, of which 21 are definite,
      4 are probables and 2 only possibles.

      We did go to some trouble to weed out Ernest Virgo's proposals once we had
      realized what was going on. However, I doubt that any attributions of Arnett
      (other than his own session) ultimately rest on anything but someone's ears!
      However the some one is in some cases Lee Collins, which provides a somewhat
      firmer basis.

      Lord has 32 Arnett sessions 1923-37. Only about half seem to be in Rust, the
      rest presumably qualifying for G&D (&R) which I do not have. Rust's entries
      carry many a question mark and do not include him on the Mutts. My guess is
      that most of the blues sessions are aural attributions and less than totally
      reliable.

    • David Weiner
      Message 38 of 38 , Jul 26, 2010

        > So now limiting the discussion to "big band/large ensemble" and avoiding
        > string-bands, quartets/quintets: I had always assume that this
        > setting--for recordings--generally had tuba. As such I was looking for who
        > began using string bass as a replacement for tuba, if it concentrated in
        > one or a few individual groups.
        >
        > .
        >
        > -- Gerry

        Don't forget, Gerry, that many bands had tuba and string bass side by side
        at the same time - this is readily apparent in many of the Vitaphone shorts
        of 1927-30 - often, a band also had a banjoist and a guitarist playing
        simultaneously, too. There are numerous records - like Gus Arnheim's "One
        More Time," from 1931, where tuba is in use on the first half of the disc,
        with a switchover to string bass for the "hot" final choruses to add an
        extra measure of excitement to the performance.

        Dave Weiner