RE: [RedHotJazz] Re: First String Bass On Record was Steve Brown or Arnold Loyocano?

    Message 1 of 31 , Apr 1, 2008
      Many thanks magic Albert. The first, 1922, photo does not appear in any of
      my OLD references and again does anybody know the source?

      The second 1922/1923 photo --- maybe a bit more, or less, magic here
      lbert --- is from the Duncan Schiedt collection and has appeared many times
      but with various personnels appended. 'Jazz Masters Of N.O.' identifies
      Schoebel, Pettis, Snyder and Loyacano as still present. Comparison with the
      1922 photo excludes all except Snyder as possible.

      Well, the 'aurally unidentified third reed' is a novel idea to place
      alongside the phantom bassist. I think that his absence from the 1922 photo
      can be explained by his need to crouch behind Loyacano to support him in a
      pose defying the laws of physics.

      Right. All chronological evidence, supported by Loyacano himself, is that he
      is on the 1922 sides -- if any bassist is.

      We must then await Sue's book to learn what evidence places Brown on the
      1923 sides apart from his own, maybe displaced, memory.

      Dave

      [

    • rwondraschek
      Message 31 of 31 , May 7, 2010
        Hi all,

        Got no golden ears, but fortunately own all the original Friar's & NORK Gennetts (78s) in decent to excellent condition, and I can tell you that a string bass IS faintly audible, especially on Eccentric and Farewell.
        Much more difficult to hear this on the Retrieval CD - no wonder, 'cause John R.T. Davies during transfers supressed everything below 125 Hz by 10 dB. I know exactly, 'cause I was actually present during the transfers in his Burnham stable-studio (2001), as I had brought along some of the original 78s which were used for the CD.
        The beauty of owning original 78s is that one is NOT dependant on the judgement (equalization, filtering, ...) of nowadays sound engineers, and that one has ALL the raw data originally commited into the grooves of the 78s.

        Same dispute (brass bass - yes or no) still exists among collectors regarding the 1922/23 Cotton Pickers recordings. While understandable if one only has access to LPs/CDs (/or even MP3s), as soon as you got an original 78 on the turntable, every doubt vanishes and the brass bass is pretty apparent.

        Ralph, Heidelberg, Germany