Re: [RedHotJazz] Need Info on a later Eddie Barefield recording

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2008
      As listed by discographers, Dick Vance is not on any of Eddie Barefield's
      four Cosmoplitan LPs. These had didfferent numbers on each side and are

      MLP500/501 Playes The Work Of Edgar W.M. Battle (1962)
      MLP510/511 Edgar Battle's Jazz Pioneers (1964)
      MLP550/551 Blows Ballads Beautiful By Battle (1962-3)
      MLP535/536 Title ? (1964)

      The dating looks suspicious. Slick Jones is on both 1964 albums.

      Provided Edgar Battle's descendents can actually be traced, it shouldn't be
      too difficult or expensive to lease these and the other fascinating-looking
      albums on Cosmopolitan and I commend the idea to anyone in the record
      business!

      on 1/4/08 4:35, yves francois at aprestitine@... wrote:

      i think it was for cosmopolitan records, a label
      headed by edgar battle (trumpeter in "a viper's maon"
      by willie bryant, and an excellent arranger to boot),
      may have done more than one LP for edgar, he was a
      great fan of mr barefiled. i don't know why, but i
      have NEVER seen any of those records, and the
      personell on any of the records made on cosmopolitan
      ALWAYS look interesting, but then edgar had great
      taste, and was a very enterprising gentleman (franz
      jackson had some stories about him), will look into it
      later this week, when i have some free time, regards,
      yves
      --- ikey100 <wlmoorman3@... <mailto:wlmoorman3%40yahoo.com> > wrote:

      > Hi, Can anyone help me find the details of a
      > recording made by Eddie
      > Barefield in 1964, released under his name, or as
      > leader. I'm presuming
      > it was an lp, and it definitely included drummer
      > Slick Jones, and
      > possibly trumpeter Dick Vance. Title and Label info
      > would be most
      > appreciated.
      > Warren

    • ikey100
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3, 2008
        Thank you, Howard and Yves Francois. You've anticipated my thoughts
        exactly about these records-their interesting details, apparent
        scarcity and hopes for reissue.

        Warren