Need Info on a later Eddie Barefield recording

  • ikey100
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31, 2008
      Hi, Can anyone help me find the details of a recording made by Eddie
      Barefield in 1964, released under his name, or as leader. I'm presuming
      it was an lp, and it definitely included drummer Slick Jones, and
      possibly trumpeter Dick Vance. Title and Label info would be most
      appreciated.
      Warren
    • yves francois
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 31, 2008
        i think it was for cosmopolitan records, a label
        headed by edgar battle (trumpeter in "a viper's maon"
        by willie bryant, and an excellent arranger to boot),
        may have done more than one LP for edgar, he was a
        great fan of mr barefiled. i don't know why, but i
        have NEVER seen any of those records, and the
        personell on any of the records made on cosmopolitan
        ALWAYS look interesting, but then edgar had great
        taste, and was a very enterprising gentleman (franz
        jackson had some stories about him), will look into it
        later this week, when i have some free time, regards,
        yves

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1, 2008
          As listed by discographers, Dick Vance is not on any of Eddie Barefield's
          four Cosmoplitan LPs. These had didfferent numbers on each side and are

          MLP500/501 Playes The Work Of Edgar W.M. Battle (1962)
          MLP510/511 Edgar Battle's Jazz Pioneers (1964)
          MLP550/551 Blows Ballads Beautiful By Battle (1962-3)
          MLP535/536 Title ? (1964)

          The dating looks suspicious. Slick Jones is on both 1964 albums.

          Provided Edgar Battle's descendents can actually be traced, it shouldn't be
          too difficult or expensive to lease these and the other fascinating-looking
          albums on Cosmopolitan and I commend the idea to anyone in the record
          business!

          --- ikey100 <wlmoorman3@... <mailto:wlmoorman3%40yahoo.com> > wrote:

          > Hi, Can anyone help me find the details of a
          > recording made by Eddie
          > Barefield in 1964, released under his name, or as
          > leader. I'm presuming
          > it was an lp, and it definitely included drummer
          > Slick Jones, and
          > possibly trumpeter Dick Vance. Title and Label info
          > would be most
          > appreciated.
          > Warren

        • ikey100
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 3, 2008
            Thank you, Howard and Yves Francois. You've anticipated my thoughts
            exactly about these records-their interesting details, apparent
            scarcity and hopes for reissue.