Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: First String Bass On Record was Steve Brown or Arnold...

  • loerchen2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 28, 2008
      Randy,

      The quote was from an interview with Brown that was done in May 1953. It's
      on file at Tulane Univ. in the jazz archive there.

      The bio is mostly about Roppolo, but naturally covers NORK at Friars Inn.
      It's not quite half finished, but as soon as the jazz festival season is over,
      I hope to get a lot more done on it.

      Sue

      Home.

    • Albert Haim
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 30, 2008
        Sue,

        Does Steve Brown talk about his first recordings with Paul Whiteman
        and/or when he joined the Whiteman band in his MAy 1953 interview? As
        you probably know, Don Rayno in his magnificent Whiteman biography
        gives Steve Brown as the bassist in the Whiteman recording sessions of
        Sep 21 and 22, 1927. A notable recording on Sep 22 was "Wang Wang
        Blues." In his analysis of this recording, Rayno writes, "Jimmy Dorsey
        plays some fine hot clarinet, propelled by Steve Brown's driving bass."

        As you probably know a very knowledgeable individual in the Bix forum
        suggests that the bassist in "Wang Wang Blues" is Al Armer. Does Steve
        Brown have anything to say about this recording in the interview?

        Thanks,

        Albert

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, loerchen2@... wrote:

        > Randy,
        >
        > The quote was from an interview with Brown that was done in May
        1953. It's
        > on file at Tulane Univ. in the jazz archive there.
        >
        > The bio is mostly about Roppolo, but naturally covers NORK at
        Friars Inn.
        > It's not quite half finished, but as soon as the jazz festival
        season is over,
        > I hope to get a lot more done on it.
        >
        > Sue
        >

        > **************Create a Home Theater Like the Pros. Watch the video
        on AOL
        > Home.

      • Dave Weiner
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 30, 2008
          > Sue,
          >
          > Does Steve Brown talk about his first recordings with Paul Whiteman
          > and/or when he joined the Whiteman band in his MAy 1953 interview? As
          > you probably know, Don Rayno in his magnificent Whiteman biography
          > gives Steve Brown as the bassist in the Whiteman recording sessions of
          > Sep 21 and 22, 1927. A notable recording on Sep 22 was "Wang Wang
          > Blues." In his analysis of this recording, Rayno writes, "Jimmy Dorsey
          > plays some fine hot clarinet, propelled by Steve Brown's driving bass."
          >
          > As you probably know a very knowledgeable individual in the Bix forum
          > suggests that the bassist in "Wang Wang Blues" is Al Armer. Does Steve
          > Brown have anything to say about this recording in the interview?

          Remember that recoding was never issued and went unheard
          until the CD era - so I can'tr imagine Steve would have been
          asked about it. To me, it sounds like Armer, less wild than Brown
          would have played it.

          Dave W.
        • Albert Haim
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 30, 2008
            Good point. Granted that maybe no questions were asked specifically
            about "Wang Wang Blues." However, Whiteman (with Steve Brown,
            according to Rayno) recorded two issued sides on Sep 21, 1927 and two
            issued sides on Sep 22, 1927. Maybe Steve was asked about his first
            recordings with Whiteman and maybe had a recollection.

            Albert

            --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Weiner" <djwein@...> wrote:

            > > Sue,
            > >
            > > Does Steve Brown talk about his first recordings with Paul Whiteman
            > > and/or when he joined the Whiteman band in his MAy 1953 interview? As
            > > you probably know, Don Rayno in his magnificent Whiteman biography
            > > gives Steve Brown as the bassist in the Whiteman recording sessions of
            > > Sep 21 and 22, 1927. A notable recording on Sep 22 was "Wang Wang
            > > Blues." In his analysis of this recording, Rayno writes, "Jimmy Dorsey
            > > plays some fine hot clarinet, propelled by Steve Brown's driving
            bass."

            > > As you probably know a very knowledgeable individual in the Bix forum
            > > suggests that the bassist in "Wang Wang Blues" is Al Armer. Does Steve
            > > Brown have anything to say about this recording in the interview?
            >
            > Remember that recoding was never issued and went unheard
            > until the CD era - so I can'tr imagine Steve would have been
            > asked about it. To me, it sounds like Armer, less wild than Brown
            > would have played it.
            >
            > Dave W.

          • Randy Skretvedt
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 31, 2008
              Hi, Sue--many thanks for the information about the 1953 Steve Brown interview. I'm very
              glad *someone* got some of his memories preserved. Here's wishing you success with your
              Roppolo biography; I'd certainly be very interested in buying a copy!
            • loerchen2@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 31, 2008
                Nope, Steve Brown didn't mention anything about his first recordings with
                Whiteman. He did say that the rhythm section in the Goldkette band was better
                though.

                Sue

                --- In _RedHotJazz@yahoogroRedHotJ_ (mailto:RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com) ,
                "Dave Weiner" <djwein@...> wrote:

                > > Sue,
                > >
                > > Does Steve Brown talk about his first recordings with Paul Whiteman
                > > and/or when he joined the Whiteman band in his MAy 1953 interview? As
                > > you probably know, Don Rayno in his magnificent Whiteman biography
                > > gives Steve Brown as the bassist in the Whiteman recording sessions of
                > > Sep 21 and 22, 1927. A notable recording on Sep 22 was "Wang Wang
                > > Blues." In his analysis of this recording, Rayno writes, "Jimmy Dorsey
                > > plays some fine hot clarinet, propelled by Steve Brown's driving
                bass."

                > > As you probably know a very knowledgeable individual in the Bix forum
                > > suggests that the bassist in "Wang Wang Blues" is Al Armer. Does Steve
                > > Brown have anything to say about this recording in the interview?
                >
                > Remember that recoding was never issued and went unheard
                > until the CD era - so I can'tr imagine Steve would have been
                > asked about it. To me, it sounds like Armer, less wild than Brown
                > would have played it.
                >
                > Dave W.

                Home.