Tennessee Tooters

  • Gerard J. Fitzpatrick
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 23, 2005
      My copy of "The Tennessee Tooters: The Complete 1924-26 Sessions"
      (Hep,
      1081) arrived today and I could not be more pleased. The songs are
      wonderful and the sound quality of these Vocalions is outstanding
      (restored by Hans Eeekhoff). Even 2 cuts from the fall of 1925 using
      the infamous Brunswick "Light Ray" electrical recording technique
      sound
      fine. It was especially enjoyable to hear "What-'Cha-Call-'Em Blues"
      and "Milenberg Joys," which were recorded 80 years ago to the day.
      Mark Berresford has an excellent review of this CD at VJM's Jazz &
      Blues Mart <www.vjm.com> (there are also reviews there of the 2
      Perry
      Bradford compilations from Frog & Timeless, as well as the 2-CD set
      of
      Wilbur Sweatman from Jazz Oracle. Can't write anymore now -- I want
      play more of the Tooters!

      Gerard