Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Steve Brown or Arnold Loyocano?

  • loerchen2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 31 , Mar 24, 2008
      As far as I can tell from my research, Loyacano was on the first Gennett
      session (Aug. 1922) and Steve Brown was on the one in March 1923.

      Sue

      In a message dated 3/24/2008 4:14:37 PM Central Daylight Time,
      alberthaim@... writes:

      Thanks a lot, John. Very informative. After I posted, I found this
      webpage with useful, relevant information.

      _http://www.rainerjahttp://www.rainehttp:_
      (http://www.rainerjazz.com/didyouknow.htm)

      Albert

      --- In _RedHotJazz@yahoogroRedHotJ_ (mailto:RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com) ,

      (http://redhotjazz.com/songs/nork/tigerrag.ram)

      > > Does anyone have any independent information on this? Thanks.
      > >
      > > Albert

      Home.

    • rwondraschek
      Message 31 of 31 , May 7, 2010
        Hi all,

        Got no golden ears, but fortunately own all the original Friar's & NORK Gennetts (78s) in decent to excellent condition, and I can tell you that a string bass IS faintly audible, especially on Eccentric and Farewell.
        Much more difficult to hear this on the Retrieval CD - no wonder, 'cause John R.T. Davies during transfers supressed everything below 125 Hz by 10 dB. I know exactly, 'cause I was actually present during the transfers in his Burnham stable-studio (2001), as I had brought along some of the original 78s which were used for the CD.
        The beauty of owning original 78s is that one is NOT dependant on the judgement (equalization, filtering, ...) of nowadays sound engineers, and that one has ALL the raw data originally commited into the grooves of the 78s.

        Same dispute (brass bass - yes or no) still exists among collectors regarding the 1922/23 Cotton Pickers recordings. While understandable if one only has access to LPs/CDs (/or even MP3s), as soon as you got an original 78 on the turntable, every doubt vanishes and the brass bass is pretty apparent.

        Ralph, Heidelberg, Germany