Wiggles

  • Wouter MarĂ©chal
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 24, 2008
      Hi all,
      Is there ever made a recording of Washboard Wiggles other than the Tiny Parham's version. Well, it was his composition after all but I couldn't find another prewar recording.Is there one?

      Happy Eastern

      Wouter M.

    • Randy Skretvedt
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 24, 2008
        Hello--I don't know of another pre-war recording, but one was made in the '70s by R. Crumb
        and his Cheap Suit Serenaders under the title "Wisconsin Wiggles." It was released as a 78
        (on vinyl!) on the "Ordinary" label. You can listen to it at this site:
        http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4603350
        It's a strange arrangement--the melody appears to be played on musical saw.
      • Mordechai Litzman
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 24, 2008
          Can't find any other pre-war recording. Youtube has a couple of more recent recordings ; the best one is the 1986 South Frisco Jazz Band recording with the great Bob Raggio on washboard.

          http://youtube.com/watch?v=cdO0n5JMdHc

        • Wouter MarĂ©chal
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 25, 2008
            Thanks, Mordechai and Randy, for the confirmation of no other prewar recording of Washboard Wiggles other than by Tiny Parham.

            Yes, Randy, Crumb's version is what I had in mind when I was thinking to change the horn setting into a stringband setting with violoin, Hawaiian steel, mandolin and tenor banjo. Crumb beats me to it years ago as it seems, even the use of the Sandvicker Stradivarius which is indeed a musical saw. I thought to hear a Swannee whistle aswell.
            Back on topic, I wonder why the tracks with Sam Theard with Tiny Parham are not listed on Redhotjazz.

            All the best
            Wouter M.