Louis Armstrong & His Orchestra

  • Robert Smith
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 23 11:37 AM
      I'm a bit intrigued by two Armstrong recordings that appear in "Jazz Directory" (Carey, McCarthy, and Venables 1949), viz.:
      New York, November 29, 1929
      403282 Little By Little Unissued
      403283 Look What You Done To Me Unissued

      Neither of these appear in Jos Willems' magnificent discography of Louis Armstrong ("All Of Me" 2006), so I assume they are not Armstrong items.
      Does anybody know anything about these two recordings?

      Cheers

      Bob Smith

      --
      Jeg bruker gratisversjonen av SPAMfighter for privatbrukere.
      Den har fjernet 3030 søppelpostmeldinger til nå.

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 23 12:29 PM
        This is really puzzling Bob.

        They certainly are by Armstrong (so far as it is possible to say that
        without hearing them and it's unlikely we ever will). I've seen the file
        cards and noted that takes -A and -B were recorded and rejected of both
        titles.

        They are in all other discographies right up to the current Rust so it is
        extraordinary that Willems does not make a note about why he has chosen to
        omit them if he did so choos,. I think we must reluctantly conclude that he
        has overlooked them. They're certainly not there.

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 23 12:40 PM
          From: "Robert Smith"

          > I'm a bit intrigued by two Armstrong recordings that appear in "Jazz
          > Directory"
          > (Carey, McCarthy, and Venables 1949), viz.:
          > New York, November 29, 1929
          > 403282 Little By Little Unissued
          > 403283 Look What You Done To Me Unissued

          > Neither of these appear in Jos Willems' magnificent discography of Louis
          > Armstrong
          > ("All Of Me" 2006), so I assume they are not Armstrong items.
          > Does anybody know anything about these two recordings?

          FWIW, they are listed in Rust and also on this great site :
          http://www.michaelminn.net/armstrong/index.php?section3

          Both agree on Nov. 19 and mention vocal - so should I suppose someone heard
          them?
          They were skipped on the 'Chronological Classics' CD, maybe we'll get a
          clear reply
          when Frémeaux et Associés have issued volume 5 of the complete recordings.

          Patrice
        • Robert Smith
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 3, 2008
            Dear Howard and Patrice,

            Thank you for your replies regarding the unissued Armstrong sides recorded on November 19, 1929.
            I've now sent the question to Jos Willems via Gerard Bielderman, complete with your answers.

            I'll let you know if and when I get a reply.

            Sorry for the delay, but my modem packed up and I've only just received the replacement.

            Kind Regards

            Bob Smith

            --
            Jeg bruker gratisversjonen av SPAMfighter for privatbrukere.
            Den har fjernet 3314 søppelpostmeldinger til nå.